The Burr  
History and Genealogy Site


The Maney Family

Of Seneca Castle, Ontario Co., NY


Compiled By
Marge Tuthill


This collection of photos and thumbnail sketches of Cornelius J. and Mary (Dinneen) Maney and their children was prepared to help their descendants know their family history and to help others who might want to do more detailed research.  I have focused on the hundred years, 1860s-1960s. when the family farmed in and near Seneca Castle. 

Most of the photographs in this booklet are from the estates of Mary E. Maney and Julia Tuthill.  A few were provided by
J. Robert Maney's childten.

The thumbnail sketches of family members could and should be expanded.  At age seventy-three,  I have chosen to share what I know while I still know what I know.  The details and stories passed on to me by my mother, Julia Maney, and others are a minor portion of these sketches.  It is the research that tells the story. 

Ruth Taylor Maney was the first to compile genealogical information about the Geneva Maneys.  Her work offered the foundation of this effort.  Bob Maney's daughter, Beth (Maney) Mandrino, is responsible for finding many of the dates and details relating to the Cornelius and Mary Maney branch.  Beth's efforts have been outstanding.  She has searched for records, visited cemeteries, conducted interviews and searched the internet.  Much of the information in this booklet is the result of Beth's work.  Others have also been helpful.  These include Cornelius Maney's grandnephew, Maurice Maney,  his grandniece, Sr. Mary E. Maney, RDC, Beth's brother, Cornelius John Maney III (called John), Helen (Joyce) Rowley's son, Michael Rowley, and my nieces, Nora Tuthill Glueck and Bridget Tuthill. 

I have tried to be fair and accurate in what I have included. I did redact information relating to my own name.  For reasons beyond my understanding, I was called by my middle name during the first years of my life.  It is a rather old-fashioned name that lends itself to unattractive nicknames.  During my first year of high school, I banned the name.  I simply stopped speaking to anyone who addressed me by my middle name.  It took a while, but I was successful.  Today, it is only a problem for those who only knew me as a child.  When preparing this booklet, I thought about relenting for the sake of accuracy.  In the end, I decided that age has its privileges, and a "Maney" can stay stubborn. 

I know that there is much more information to be discovered, and there are corrections to be made.  I leave it to Beth and others. 

I did the painting on the back cover.  It is a painting of Tim Maney's barn in Orleans.

                                                                                             Signed by Marge Tuthill, 10-22-04

Painting from back cover



Cornelius John Maney, born in 1837, was the oldest son of Daniel and Ellen (O'Brian) Meany of Macroom, County Cork, Ireland. Cornelius emigrated to America and settled in Geneva, New York, around 1860.  During the 1860s, one by one, four of his brothers, Timothy, Thomas, Edward and Daniel, and his sister, Ellen, emigrated and joined Cornelius in Geneva.  One brother, Dennis, stayed in Ireland with their parents. 

Cornelius traveled west to explore America 5 possibilities.  Ac-cording to family-lore, he met Brigham Young, founder of the Mormons, in Salt Lake Citv, Utah.  Cornelius eventually reached the Sacramento Valley in California.  He was impressed by the cli­mate, the soil and the conditions for farming, and he decided he wanted to settle there.  He also wanted and Irish-Catholic wife so he returned to Geneva to marrv. 

He courted Mary Elizabeth Dinneen, born in 1848, the daughter of Jeremiah and Catherine (Kelleher) Dinneen.  The Dinneen family were also natives of County Cork, Ireland.  They had lived on the estate of Lord Brodrick near Midleton, County Cork.  The estate bordered Cork Harbor, and Jereu:iah often spoke of watching ships set off to America.  In 1860, Mary and her parents emigrated to the United States and settled in Geneva.  Mary's stories of child­hood included recalling the assassination of President Lincoln. She would tell of Geneva's black people being afraid of what would happen to them after Lincoln's death. 

Cornelius asked Mary to marry him and to go with him to settle in California.  She agreed.  Thev were married in St. Francis de Sales Church in Geneva.  After they were married, Mary changed her mind.  She did not want to go to California.  Cornelius and his brother, Edward, owned farmland in nearby Seneca Castle.  Cor­nelius purchased Edward's share of the farm, and Cornelius and Mary settled in Seneca Castle instead of the Sacramento Valley. 

Their first child, Daniel, was born in 1874.  He was followed by Ellen, called Nell, in 1877, and Mary Esther in 1879.  Mary E. was born with one arm.  Jeremiah, called Jerry, was born in 1880. Timothy was born in 1882 on Christmas Day.  Cornelius John, called Jack, was born in 1885, and two years later a baby girl was born.

Mary chose the name Alice for the baby.  Several days after the baby was born, Cornelius took the baby to the church in Geneva to be baptized.  Mothers did not attend baptisms which were administered as soon as possible - within days of birth while the mother was still recuperating and unable to make the trip to the church.  The baby to be named Alice was brought home by Cornelius baptized Julia Katharine.  

Besides the seven children, the Maney farm provided a home and work for extended family members.  According to the 1875 census, Mary's six year old niece, Catherine, lived with them.  Also living with them was Daniel E. Maney, a cousin of Cornelius.  He was a single farmhand who was born in Ireland in 1863 and emigrated to the United States in 1875. 

Cornelius Maney died as a result of a horse and buggy accident.  He suffered major trauma and was paralyzed.  He lived four weeks and died on November 22, 1891.  Alcohol was involved.  As a result, most of his children became lifelong teetotalers.  Mary at age forty-three was a widow with a farm to run and seven children to raise. 

Not long after Cornelius Maney's death, one of his friends died and left his farm to Daniel, Cornelius and Mary's oldest son. Young Daniel chose to leave his mother and siblings in order to be on his own and run his newly inherited farm.  The result was a lifelong estrangement from most of his immediate family. 

With strength, intelligence, determination and the support of relatives and in-laws, Mary ran a prosperous and debt-free farm, and she prepared her children to become successful adults.  She had Mary E., her daughter with one arm, attend business school so that she would not be dependent upon others.  She insisted that her sons, Jack and Jerry, attend business school to help them be better farm managers.  She sent Julia, the youngest, to high school and normal school to become a teacher.  Probably because of her own experience, Mary Maney felt it was very important for girls to be prepared to support themselves. 

In the early 1900s, there was a fire that destroyed the farmhouse. It was caused by candles on a Christmas tree.  After that happened, Mary moved to a house in the hamlet of Seneca Castle.  She lived in the house for the remainder of her life.  When the Wright brothers first flew and air planes were developed, Mary was very disappointed.  She had always felt that her husband and father were just above the clouds looking down on her. 

Gradually, Mary Maney turned the farm over to her sons, Jerry and Jack.  This included receiving a $6,000.00 promissory note in 1922 from her two sons.  In 1923, Mary Maney made a will.  It reflected her view of the importance of education, and her belief that women needed to be financially secure.                       

Mary Maney left $1,000.00 to her oldest daughter, Nell, and all of the real estate that she owned at the time of her death was to be shared by her daughters Nell and Julia.  She arranged a trust for Mary E. who was to receive the interest from a five thousand dollar trust fund during her lifetime.  The trustees were instructed to use their discretion to determine if Mary E. needed any of the trust fund to provide her with suitable and comfortable support.  After Mary E. passed away1 the remainder of the trust fund was to be distributed equally among her grandchildren.  According to family-lore the fund was to be used for the grandchildren's education.  Mary did not leave her sons anything stating in the will, "I believe them to be competent to care for themselves."  Her son, Jeremiah, and Robert Howard were named executors of the will and trustees of the trust fund.

Mary Maney died on December 31, 1926.  Her estate included her home in Seneca Castle, its furnishings, a bank account of $379.68, and the promissory note of $6,000.00 with interest due amounting to $216.15 owed by her sons, Jerry and Jack.  Mary was buried next to her husband in St. Patrick's Cemetery in Geneva.

Gradually and officially, all of the Geneva and the Seneca Castle Maneys changed the spelling of their last name from Meany to Maney. This was done to ensure the Irish pronounciation of the name.   In Ireland, the "ea" would be pronounced like a long "a" sound.  The family was not happy about having their name pronounced like the word "mean".  They were listed as Meanys in the 1875 census.  The letters of administration issued when Cornelius died in 1891 used the Meany spelling except for Thomas Maney, brother of Cornelius. The memorial stone for Cornelius displayed the Maney spelling. By 1900, the census showed the Maney spelling for all the families.




Daniel C. Maney, oldest son of Cornelius and Mary Many, was born in 1874.  Shortly after the death of his father, he inherited a farm from one of his father's friends.  He chose to leave his mother, siblings and the family farm to be on his own and run his newly inherited farm near Geneva.  This choice resulted in his being estranged from his immediate family, but he did have good relationships with other Maney relatives.  He was known as Dan or D.C. 

He seems to be remembered as a good, but lonely and somewhat unlucky man.  He never married, and he told cousins he regretted not knowing some of his nephews and nieces.  His farm was on Carter Road. 

In the late 1920s, the KKK (Ku Klux Klan prejudice included Irish Catholics)  burned a cross in front of Dan's farm-house and burned down his house.  Dan escaped through an upstairs window.  After that, he stayed with his cousin, Michael Maney, and his family for several years. 

Dan had a gas station and cider mill near the Carter Road farm. When Dan operated the gas station, he was in the habit of carrying all of his money with him.  On one occasion, he was attacked from the rear, knocked unconscious, and all of his money was stolen. After this, his cousin suggested that his money would be safer in a bank.  Dan placed his money in a Phelps bank.  Shortly after, the banks failed and closed.  The Phelps bank never reopened so Dan lost his money again. 

Most of the time, Dan lived alone.  He loved dogs and always had a dog.  In later years, he had a housekeeper. 

When Dan's youngest brother, Jack Maney, died in 1947, the Carter Road farm, the gas station and the cider mill were listed as properties in Jack's estate.  The reason might be that Jack aided Dan due to some financial situation.  Although the reasons are unclear, it would seem to indicate that Jack was helping his older brother. 

Dan died on August 7, 1952.  He left his estate to St. Francis de Sales Roman Catholic Church, and he directed that any of his relatives who contested the will should be given the amount of one dollar each.  He also directed that he be buried in St. Mary's Cemetery on Pre-emption Road.  The will was read after his burial. He had been buried with his parents in St. Patrick's Cemetery in Geneva. 



Helen Gertrude Maney, born April 18, 1877, was the second child of Cornelius and Mary Maney.  She was called Nell.  When Nell was four-teen years old, her father died.  Nell was old enough to take on responsibilities and to be a real help to her mother by watching out for the younger children.  In later years, she always seemed to be the peacemaker of the siblings. 

On June 24, 1908, Nell married Charles Joyce of Clifton Springs. In the early years, he owned a shoe store.  Later, he became the chief of police in Clifton Springs.  He also served as a member of the Clifton Springs School Board.  Nell and Charlie had three children.  Mary Evelyn, born July 28, 1910, was the oldest grandchild of Cornelius and Mary Maney.  She was called Evelyn.  Charles Francis, called Bud or Buddy, was born on November 4, 1914.  Helen Elizabeth, born September 22, 1918, was the youngest child. 

The children lived near Seneca Castle and were able to visit their grandmother frequently.  Evelyn spoke of her childhood recollections of her mother and her mother's siblings being very secretive about their ages.  The exception was Aunt Julia.  During summer visits, Julia, the youngest of the Maney siblings, would tell all her age. By doing so, Julia gave away the ages of Nell and the others.  They had never been secretive about the age differences between each other. Evelyn just needed to do a little addition.  Evelyn considered this great fun. 

Nell had a good sense of humor.  She was a gentle, sincere and caring woman.  She was concerned about the poor during the depression.  According to her children, she would give lunch to hobos in her kitchen. 

Buddy was a graduate of Clifton Springs High School.  He became head of the meat department at the Market Basket store in Avon.  Bud was killed in an auto  accident on January 25, 1940.  

Both Evelyn and Helen  attended the State Teacher's College at Potsdam, NY.  Evelyn taught English in Fairport and Montour Falls.  Helen taught third grade in local schools including Clifton Springs. 

Evelyn married George Barton of Montour Falls.  They had one son, Charles.  Helen married James Rowley.  They settled in Canandaigua. The Rowleys had three children, Linda, James and Michael. 

Nell suffered from arthritis, and she was an invalid for many years, beginning in the forties.  She died November 30, 1952.  Nell was buried  in St. Agnes Cemetery in Clifton Springs. 

Early records, such as the wills of Cornelius and Mary Maney, list Nell's  name as Ellen which was her paternal grandmother's name. Nell signed the probate papers for her mother's will with the name Ellen.  However, both her wedding records and her grave stone list her name as Helen.  Both names have been used in this booklet.



Mary Esther Maney called Mary E., was born in 1879 with only one arm.  Her right forearm was missing.  Every effort was made to help her learn to compensate, to educate her, and to ensure her independence.  She was sent to business school to prepare for a career. 

George Eastman of Rochester's Eastman Kodak was one of the first employers willing to hire the handicapped.  Mary E. had a very successful career at Eastman Kodak.  By the time she retired, she was in charge of all the salesmen's expense accounts.  She was a very intelligent woman who was very thrifty and had high expectations of others.  She knew exactly what everything cost, and what amount was an acceptable, but modest, tip.  She had quite a reputation among other Kodak employees.  When her brothers dated women from Kodak, they tried to avoid having their relationship to Mary E. become known. 

Accountants at Eastman Kodak advised Mary E. in purchasing Kodak stock and, before the stock market fell in 1929, advised her to sell her stock.  They also helped her choose the time to re-invest.  As a result, Mary E. was always more than financially comfortable. 

Mary E. was extremely religious, attending several Masses on many Sundays.  She was very interested in other family members, and she had high expectations of them.  She did not hesitate to be critical. This led other family members to avoid her when possible.  In her own way, she was a caring and generous person.  She had many friends who spoke of how she would frequently say to them, "Be good to yourself." 

Throughout her adult life Mary E. lived independently in apartments in Rochester.  She always wore an artificial arm.  It served no purpose beyond offering the appearance of an arm.  The hand of the artificial arm was always covered with a glove.  This arm was heavy and uncomfortable, even painful to wear.  She would visit her sister, Julia, on Long Island several times a year.  Julia was able to encourage her to remove the artificial arm for periods of time in order to heal the bruising it caused.  For the most part, Mary was a trim woman with very good posture who was always very well groomed.  The fact that Mary's everyday life was filled with so many challenges might explain why she expected so much of others. 

There was one issue which resulted in Mary E. claiming need.  Her mother left a five thousand dollar trust fund for the education of her grandchildren.  Mary E. was to receive the interest from the trust, and if she were in need, her needs were to be met  with the fund.  From the time the will was probated, Mary E. tried to claim funds from the trust.  She probably did this because her two sisters received outright cash bequests from their mother's estate, and she felt left out. 

Mary E. died in Rochester on April 13, 1957 at age 78.



Jeremiah Robert Maney, born June 17, 1880, was the middle child of Cornelius and Mary Maney.  He was called Jerry.  His father died when he was eleven years old, and not long after, his older brother, Dan, went off on his own.  Jerry, in his early teens, became the oldest male family member on the Maney farm.  It is fair to assume that much was expected of him.  Jerry became a hard working, strong and determined young man. 

His mother insisted that he and younger brother Jack take business courses to help them be better businessmen when managing the farm.  Jerry was very responsible and intelligent.  He was a good farmer, and the farm grew and prospered. 

In the early twenties, Mary Maney turned the farm over to Jerry and his younger brother, Jack.  The arrangement included the brothers giving their mother a six thousand dollar promissory note.  That same year, the brothers formed a partnership named "J. R. Maney and Brother."  Working together, they continuously increased the size of the farm, and they actually began trucking their own produce to New York City.  Jerry was an excellent farmer who did a superb job of managing and expanding the farm. 

Mary Maney died on December 31, 1926.  Her respect for Jerry was indicated by her choice of Jerry as one of the two executors of her will.  She also named Jerry as a trustee of the trust fund set up to ensure that Mary E. Maney's needs were met and to provide for the education of her grandchildren. 

On April 30, 1927, Jerry married Elizabeth Delea.   They had one son who was named for his father, but became known as J. Robert and Bob.  Liza, as Elizabeth was called, had health problems which led to her spending much of her time in Syracuse, away from her husband and son. 

Jack Maney died suddenly in August of 1947.  After Jack's death, Jerry operated the farm alone until joined by Bob when he graduated from Holy Cross College in 1950.  Bob became Jerry's partner. 

Liza Maney died March 18, 1956.  Jerry Maney died May 16, 1958. Both were buried in St. Mary's Cemetery.



Timothy J. Maney, born on Christmas Day in 1882, was the fifth child of Mary and Cornelius Maney.  Tim was eight years old when his father died.  He was an easygoing, sensitive boy who liked farm life but did not enjoy or excel in school. 

Like his brothers, he became a farmer.  Tim owned and operated smaller farms in the Seneca Castle area.  He was a hands on farmer who seemed to enjoy the actual work of farming and caring for farm animals. 

Tim was a friendly, honest, goodnatured man.  While he did not enjoy social functions, Tim seemed to enjoy people, especially children.  He was a kind, easygoing man with a great smile. 

Tim was a favorite of the children in his family.  His nephews and nieces had fond memories of him.  Helen would recall that whenever he visited the Joyces in Clifton Springs, he would give her a dime.  During the depression, a dime was a lot of money for a child, enough for candy or ice cream at a nearby store.  When Tim felt the visiting Tuthill children were bored by adult conversations, Tim would take them out to the barn to see the animals.  Sometimes, Tim would get a farmhand to play the fiddle for the youngsters.  Marge recalls that Tim would get up and leave if the adults' conversations became too serious and might approach arguments. 

Tim married Mary Mahoney, probably in the late twenties.  They did not have any children.  Eventually, they separated.  Sometime in the late 1940s, Tim fell from the hayloft of his barn. He suffered a broken hip, and he was badly crippled as a result.  Even so, he continued farming.  At the time of his death, he owned a farm in nearby Orleans. 

Tim died on August 26, 1961 in the Geneva Hospital.  He was buried in St. Partick's Cemetery, Geneva, NY, with his parents and siblings.  At the time of his death, Tim was seventy-eight years old.  Tim remembered all of his nephews and nieces in his will.  He also remembered his one grand nephew who would carry on the Maney name, Cornelius John Maney III, son of J. Robert Maney.



Cornelius John Maney II was the youngest son, and the next to the youngest child, of Cornelius and Mary Maney.  He was always called Jack.  Born on January 7, 1885, Jack was six years old when his father died. 

He grew up to be a dapper sort of man.  He was known for wearing spats and straw hats and for driving the latest-model cars including a Packard convertable and a Cadillac.  Although he never married, he was a popular suitor in his youth.  He was also a hard-working, intelligent man. 

In the 1920s Jerry and Jack formed a partnership called J. R. Maney and Brother.  They purchased the farm from their mother, and they went on to develop the largest farm in the area.  While Jerry took care of the actual farm operation, Jack was involved in the sale of produce and the business aspects1 such as purchasing and development. 

Jack purchased and resided in the Page house, an impressive white house on the outskirts of Seneca Castle.  He was an avid antique collector, and he filled his home with his collection.  All the bedrooms had fourposter beds with canopies.  The early American collection of furniture included Chippendale, Empire, Sheraton, Hepplewhite and Duncan Phyffe pieces.  There were 1810 candlabras, a Chickering grand piano, a Dresden urn, Sheffield silver, Oriental rugs, grandfather clocks and a Wedgewood collection.  In the midst of these antiques, there was a small oak-leaf frame that framed a painting by his nine year old niece.  The very large house was completely furnished with antiques. 

In the mid-forties, Jack visited Ireland.  He was the first in his family to visit his parents' native land. 

Jack died on August 17, 1947, in the Geneva Hospital after suffering a sudden gall bladder attack.  He was sixty-two years old and the first of his siblings to die.  His wake was held in his home. His siblings and their families kept watch all day and night until Jack's body was taken to St. Stephen's Church for the funeral. He was buried beside his parents in St. Patrick's Cemetery. 

A Geneva newspaper declared, "Maney Estate tops $175,230."  Jack's will was made in 1922, and he left his entire estate to his brother and partner, Jerry.  Jack and Jerry were the only Maneys to be lifelong residents of Seneca Castle.



Julia Maney, born July 3, 1887, was the youngest child of Cornelius and Mary Maney.  She was four years old when her father died.  Julia was a bright youngster who finished high school in three years.  She graduated from Clifton Springs High School in 1904 at age sixteen. 

Julia went on to Brockport Normal to prepare to be a teacher.  Her family has a photo of her posing with other members of the Brockport girls' basketball team.  After graduating from Brockport, she taught in Rochester for one year. 

In 1907, she took a teaching position in Mattituck, Long Island, New York which was three hundred miles away from Seneca Castle. She was the only one of her siblings to leave upstate New York. After teaching in Mattituck for three years, she contracted to teach in Oyster Bay, another Long Island community.  Throughout her years on Long Island, she was courted by Harry Hull Tuthill. 

The Tuthills were an old Long Island family who had settled on Long Island's east end in 1640.  They were Presbyterians who did not approve of Harry marrying an Irish Catholic.  Nor did the Maneys approve of Julia marrying a non-Irish Protestant.  Julia and Harry were married on June 26, 1913, in the rectory of St. Dominic's Church in Oyster Bay.  They let their families know after the wedding. 

The couple settled in Greenport near the tip of Long Island's north fork.  They had five children.  Henry was born March 11, 1917.  He was a navigator in the U. S. Army Air Force during World War II and the Korean War.  During his tours of duty, he received the Distinguished Flying Cross, with one oak leaf cluster, and the Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters.  He was a Village of Greenport Trustee and Southold Town Supervisor at the time of his death. He was killed in an auto accident by a drunk driver on December 23, 1960.  Mary Margaret was their second child.  She was born on May 26, 1921.  She attended New Rochelle College, and she went on to be a social worker for Catholic Charities in Brooklyn, New York. She died on October 31, 1957, after suffering from cancer for seven years. 

J. Katharine, the third child, was born on September 30, 1924. She also attended New Rochelle College.  She worked in the advertising field and, later, became a teacher.  Lawrence Maney, the fourth child, was born on December 27, 1927.  He attended Norwich University and served in the Korean War before beginning a career as a civil engineer and a marine contractor.  He was the only one of his siblings to marry.  In 1959, he married Carol Keating.  They had five children, one
boy and four girls.  Marjorie H., the fifth child of Julia and Harry, was born on October 22, 1931.  She was called Marge.  She attended a number of colleges, and she received master degrees in education from Adelphi University and in religion from Fordham University.  She was an art teacher and a religious educator. 

Julia visited Seneca Castle almost every summer.  She brought her children and stayed with her mother.  After her mother died in 1926, Julia would stay with Nell in Clifton Springs.  In the late thirties, Julia and her five children stayed at Jack's cottage on Canandaigua Lake and, later in the forties, at Jack's home in Seneca Castle. After Jack died in 1947, Julia continued to visit.  She often stayed in the Geneva hotel.  As her children grew older, Julia made the trip alone or with just one of her children serving as a chauffeur. 

Julia died on January 3, 1973.  She was eighty-five years old. She was buried in Sacred Heart Cemetery in Cutchogue on Long Island.



During the 1860s, Cornelius Maney became the owner of farmland in Seneca Castle.  The farm was passed onto his widow, Mary, in 1891.  With the help of relatives, in-laws, and her children, Mary owned and operated the farm.  Gradually, her sons took over running the farm.  By 1922, Mary had turned the farm over to her sons, Jerry and Jack Maney. 

The family farm grew to be a modern farming enterprise that was well managed and included over two thousand acres of farm land.  They produced cabbage, beets, carrots, grain and fruit. They had their own warehouses, and they shipped produce directly to city wholesalers and brokers.  The brothers were partners until Jack Maney died in 1947.  Jerry ran the farm alone until his son, Bob, finished college and became his partner around 1950. 

Bob Maney married Jean Marie Kraus of Geneva on February 5, 1951.  The settled in the large house that had belonged to
Jack Maney, and they filled the house with their seven children.  Margaret Elizabeth (Beth) was born November 5, 1951,
Kathleen Marie was born December 21, 1952, Cornelius John III (called John) was born January 7, 1954, Susan Ann was
born May 4, 1955, Mary Joan (Jo-jo) was born August 19, 1957, Roberta Jean was born May 4, 1960 and Ellen Louise was born April 27, 1962.  These children were the fourth generation of Maneys to live in Seneca Castle. 

Jerry Maney was very proud of the farm and delighted with his grandchildren.  He liked to take Beth, his oldest grandaughter, for rides in his truck to show her the farm.  Over and over, he would say, "We own this land."  or "This is part of our farm." 

Jerry Maney died in 1958.  Bob became the sole owner of the Maney Brothers Farm.  In the early sixties, Bob sold the farm, and he began a new career in the financial field.  In 1962, he moved his family to Rochester and began a very successful second career. The Bob Maney family was the last Maney family to live on the Maney Farm in Seneca Castle.  Their departure ended the one hundred year history of the Maney Farm in Seneca Castle.





     DANIEL  C.


               MARY  ESTHER


                TIMOTHY J.

                CORNELIUS JOHN

                 JULIA  KATHARINE 




                                          CHILDREN OF                                       CHILD OF                                         CHILDREN OF
                                           HELEN AND                                          LIZA AND                                              JULIA AND
                                      CHARLES JOYCE                                JERRY  MANEY                                   HARRY TUTHILL

                                           M.  EVELYN                                          J.  ROBERT                                              HENRY
                                   CHARLES (BUDDY)                                                                                                      MARY M.
                                              HELEN                                                                                                               KATHARINE



United States Census, 1875 and 1900
Index of New York State Vital Records
Genealogical Charts by Ruth Taylor Maney of Geneva and updates on the Cornelius -
              Mary Maney family by Beth Mandrino, Mike Rowley and Marge Tuthill
Ontario County Surrogate's Court Records
St. Stephen's Roman Catholic Church, Geneva, NY
St. Francis de Sales Roman Catholic Church, Geneva, NY
St. Patrick's Cemetery, Geneva, NY
St. Mary's Cemetery, Geneva, NY
St. Agnes Cemetery, Clifton Springs, NY
Town of Seneca, NY Records
Town of Geneva, NY Records
City of Geneva, NY Records
Clifton Springs Village Records
Clifton Springs Press
Geneva Times
A History of the Town of Seneca by Rodney S. Lightfoote
American Argiculturist Farm Directory of Ontario and Wayne Counties, 1914,
              published by Judd Co., NY
Nonpublished Journals of Julia Maney Tuthill
Clifton Springs Historical Society
Town of Seneca Historical Society, Stanley, NY


Maney Photo Galery
Back to Maney Page
Back to Seneca Castle, NY
Back to Ontario Co.
Home Page
Site Bibliography

I Have No Genealogical Data That is Not Published Here.
Therefore I Generally Don't Answer Inquiries.
Questions or suggestions regarding this web site should be directed to webmaster.
Also, please report any bad links/pointers/URLs to the webmaster.

This site is always seeking genealogy or history pointer exchanges.
If you have a site that fits into any of the subjects of this site and you
want a link here please contact webmaster.
The Super Information Highwayman, being an history buff,
would like to include any
local (upstate NY) history data or family
genealogy files that you would like to share. Please contact  webmaster.

Including historical data on this site is free if relevant.