|History and Genealogy Site|
Ancestors of Burr Cook
In Ahnentafel Chart Format
Ahnentafel Chart for Burr Cook
1. Burr Cook "Buster" was born on 3 May 1934 in Canandaigua.
"...there is no king who has not had a slave among his
ancestors, and no slave who has not had a king among his."_ - Helen Keller
Burr was called Buster as a child. He is a devout Buddhist and worships his computer and
Gohonzon. Address: Burr Cook 211Grant Blvd., Syracuse, NY 13206 Phone: (315)299-7706
I have found the ancestors from the following countries, England, Ireland, France,
Germany, Holland (Netherlands), Belgium, Scotland, Denmark, Sweden and Norway.
Resources: Cook Family Bible ; Records at Canandaigua, Ontario County, NY.
Burr married Vivian R. Moran "Dolly" daughter of James (Moran) Montemorano and Susan Amoroso. on 29 Apr 1953 in Lyons, New York . Vivian was born on 14 Feb 1934 in Newark, New York .
2. Stanleigh Gates Cook "Stan" was born on 22 Dec 1907. He died on 7 Jun 1977 in Newark, NY in Newark Wayne Hospital. The cause of death was Cancer (Brain Tumor). He was buried in Hopewell Cemetery on Mumby Road. He married Adelaide Emily Benson about Oct 1927 in Canandaigua, Ontario County, New York.
The following is from the obit. column: Stanleigh Gates Cook Sr. of Orleans, Rd#2 Clifton Springs, NY
who passed away June &, 1977 was a direct descendent of Lemuel Cook, from his son Miles. He was
born in Canandaigua, NY Dec. 22, 1907, Mr. Cook, is also a direct descendent of John Alden and
Priscilla Mullins of the Mayflower Pilgrams on his mothers side. He always lived in NYS. He married
in 1927 and had 9 children, 7 boys and 2 girls, 27 grandchildren and 6 gr grandchildren. He had one
sister, Evelyn Cook who lives in Buffalo. Mr. Cook was an auto mechanic for a number of years. For
the last 30 years he had an electrical contracting business called "Cook Electric" along with his oldest
son Stanleigh Jr. and with the aid of other sons along the way. He enjoyed hunting and at one time
flying, he had a pilots license for small planes. Mr. Cook had never been in a hospital until Mar 6 of
1977 three months prior to his death from cancer. Some grandchildren are scattered about. Mr. Cook
was an Eagle Scout, and was in the Scout Program for many years, serving as Scoutmaster, Explorer
Advisor and Committeeman. Resources: Cook Family Bible; Memory.
3. Adelaide Emily Benson "Em" was born on 26 Jan 1908 in Canandaigua, New York. She died in 2001 in Lyons, New York . The cause of death was Old Age. She was buried in Hopewell Cemetery on Mumby Road.
Adelaide is the one I would pick, if by some divine act, I was allowed to choose my own mother.
She never scolded me. I don't recall her even speaking harshly to me. This, even though I was
the most troublesome of the family. I became rebellious in the third grade and refused to do
school work. I failed that grade and several others until the School Board insisted that I be seen
by a doctor. The doctor found no reason for my lack of good study habits, but, I think, both of my
parents felt that something was wrong and as a result I was treated differently from my siblings
in regard to discipline. I'm sure that my clashes with the academic world caused embarrassment
for the entire family. Adelaide had 9 children an admirable job raising them all and all turned out
to be fine citizens. -The above was written by Burr (Buster) Cook.
4. Dr. Arthur Mortimer Cook was born on 22 Mar 1877 in Clarendon, NY. He died on 5 Apr 1957 in Orleans, NY. The cause of death was Heart. He was buried in Hopewell Cemetery on Mumby Road. He married Esther Pamelia Gates on 7 Aug 1898 in Hopewell, Ontario County, N. Y..
He was a successful farmer and operated a 250 acre dairy farm near Canandaigua, NY. He also ran
a flour mill. He became a foot specialist later in life and made arch supports providing compfort for
many peoples feet. Resources include : (1) Cook Family Bible. (2)Stone at Hopewell, Pioneer Cemetary,
Ontario County, New York. (3) My memory.
5. Esther Pamelia Gates was born on 30 Jul 1877 in Hopewell, Ontario County, N. Y.. She died on 11 Mar 1973 in Buffalo, N. Y.. The cause of death was Old Age. She was buried in Hopewell Cemetery on Mumby Road.
She was Head Bookkeeper and Personell Director for Goodwill Industries of Buffalo, NY for 25 years
after age 65. She was raised on a farm in Hopewell, NY. Esther, is a descendant of John and Priscilla
Alden. Resources: Cook Family Bible; Stone at Hopewell, Pioneer Cemetary, Ontario County, New York;
Gates Family Bible; General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA.; My memory; Alden
Kindred of America.
6. Roy Garfield Benson was born on 2 Nov 1879 in Centerfield, Ontario Co. NY. He died about Sep 1954 in Ontario County, New York. He was buried in Woodlawn cemetery, Canandaigua, New York. He married Frances Lorraine Gulvin on 26 Nov 1901 in Canandaigua, Ontario County, New York.
"Roy Benson (my father) was born in Centerfield, and worked all his life as a painter and paperhanger
in Canandaigua. When 22 years of age he married Frances Lorraine Gulvin (my mother), then 21
years old, (who came over from England when she was 3 years of age, and her family settled on
a farm at Seneca Castle, New York). They were the parents of nine children. At the time of this
writing (March 1973) there were 20 Grandsons and 10 Granddaughters. This History was
constructed with the help of records kept by Jessie L. Benson of Canandaigua (a cousin) and a
copy is in the possession of Burr Cook, in Lyons. My great great grand parents and many
relatives are buried in a small cemetery at Toomey's Corners, formerly Carter's Corners, 5 miles
west of Canandaigua, New York. Roy is buried, with his parents, at Woodlawn."
---the above was written by Clarence Benson.
7. Frances Lorraine Gulvin was born on 1 Aug 1880 in Newington, Kent, England. She died on 13 Oct 1938 in Canandaigua, Ontario County, New York. She was buried in Woodlawn cemetery, Canandaigua, New York.
Frances . Moved to Seneca Castle NY from England, at age 3. She was a part time office worker and
a housewife. She attended the Baptist Church. I have only a vague memory of her, but with a warm
feeling connected. She is buried at Woodlawn Cemetery. Her parents, Reuben Gulvin and Harriet
Hart, are buried at Senaca Castle were they lived on a farm.
8. Dallas Dudley Cook was born on 25 Dec 1844 in Clarendon, NY. He died on 8 Sep 1917 in Ontario County, New York. He was buried in Hillside Cemetary in Holly, NY. He married Mary Julia Milliken on 30 Dec 1875 in Claredon, Orleans Co., NY.
Born at Clarendon he was a teacher and taught in the schools of the town for several years. He was
also a farmer and a carpenter and worked along side his father. His wifes family came from Keene,
NH in an open buggy. The Milliken farm was at lot 175 on Upper Holley Road a short distance south
of Dewitt's farm. Both children were born at Clarendon. He is burried at Holly, NY. He was baptised
at age 29 in the Methodist Episcopal Church by Pastor Henry Woods. Resource: (1) Cook Family Bible;
Resource (2): Grave stone at Hillside Cemetery in Holly, Orleans County, NY.
9. Mary Julia Milliken was born on 17 Jul 1847 in Clarendon, NY. She died on 18 Feb 1929 in Canandaigua, New York. The cause of death was Old Age.
Resource: (1) Cook Family Bible; Resource (2): Grave stone at Hillside Cemetery in Holly, Orleans
10. Daniel N. Gates was born on 15 Jan 1826 in Hopewell, Ontario County NY. He married Mary Milcah Gates estimated 1865 in Hopewell, Ontario County, N. Y..
11. Mary Milcah Gates was born estimated 1835.
The will of Mrs. Daniel Gates (Mary M. Gates), which is in my possession, is Dated
Jan. 22, 1884. It mentions daughters M. Jannette Gates and Esther P. Gates. Also
mentioned is a brother Daniel Gates and husband Daniel Gates. It is witnessed by
George B. Cooley of Canandaigua, NY.
Resources: General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA. ; Alden Kindred of America.
12. Peter Orson Benson was born on 12 Sep 1831 in Ontario County, New York. He died about 1931 in Canandaigua, Ontario County, New York. He married Emily M. Ainsworth on 23 Mar 1856 in Ontario County, New York.
Emily had brothers and sisters named Zarina, Ambrose who has a daughter in council Bluffs, Iowa
named Mrs Black, Adelaide Ainsworth Granes in Michigan, and Julia from Kent, California. Her
father was Francis Ainsworth.
"Peter O Benson was born near McMillans Corners on the North Bloomfield Road and when a young
man, came to Canandaigua and worked for a Mr. Anderson, learning the jewelry trade. While there he
remembered the Blossom House burning. The Webster House was then the Franklin House, and burned
a few years ago. After three years he went back to farming and married Emily M. Ainsworth, March 23
1856. They were parents of nine children. Peter died just five months short of his one hundredth
-- above written by: -Clarence Benson
13. Emily M. Ainsworth was born about 1837. She died about 1916.
14. Reuben Gulvin was born on 3 May 1847 in Boxley, Kent, England. He was christened on 4 Jul 1847 in Boxley, Kent, England. He died on 22 Jun 1900 in Seneca Twp, NY. He was buried in Whitney Cem, Ontario Co., NY. . He married Harriet Ann Hart on 9 Apr 1870 in Sittingbourne, Kent, ngland.
Reuben was born in England and moved to Seneca Castle, Ontario County, New York, when my
grandmother, Frances, was 3 years of age. After five years in this country, he became eligable to
become a citizen and did so on October 22, 1892 in Geneva, New York. He had at least three brothers.
They are Charles, Ed who settled in California and Tom who removed to Australia. Rueben and I
share a birth date, May the 3rd. Rueben came to Seneca Castle because the house was available.
His brother was vacating it to move west. Reference 2G10.
15. Harriet Ann Hart was born on 1 May 1854 in Newington, Kent. England. She was christened on 11 Jun 1854 in Newington, Kent. England. She died on 7 Mar 1919. She was buried in Whitney Cem, Ontario Co., NY. .
Immigrated 1885. Harriet appears on Newington census with her parents and sister Sarah, who
married Reuben's older brother, Geoge Gulvin and gave birth to Reuben Gulvin who became mayor
of Geneva, NY. This comes from my second cousin, Jack Gulvin who has relentlessly persued all
of the Gulvins and documented priceless volumns.
16. Dewitt Clinton Cook was born on 16 Aug 1813 in Pompey, Onondaga County, NY. He died on 8 Mar 1884 in Clarendon, NY. He was buried in Hillside Cemetary in Holly, NY. He married Celestia Cynthia Burr about Sep 1839 in North Bergen, New York.
Dewitt came to Western NY. with his father before his marriage and settled at North Bergen,
Genesee County, in 1840 he was residing in Clarendon with his wife where they lived the rest
of their lives. Dewitt was a carpenter or house joiner by trade, he built many of the frame
Buildings of the town, homes, farm buildings and schools that are still standing. His residence
was on Upper Holly Road at lot 152 which consisted of 48 acres, a short distance north of
what is now the Brown Schoolhouse Road. He was a member of the Orleans Pioneer.
His wives were born at Norfolk, Conn. Their church affiliation was Methodist. The children
were all born at Clarendon.
Sarah C. Burr was the first wife of Dewitt. Sarah died on march 2, 1839 at age 20 due to
complications of giving birth to George Newton, Dewitts first son. During the next several
months, while Dewitt was at work, Sarah's older sister Celestia cared for and became attached
to the child, who was sickly and required constant care. on Sept. 9, 1839 George
Newton died at age 7 months and 13 days. Dewitt and Celestia, both grieving deeply over
the loss of the child, took refuge in each other and married shortly there after. Together they
had three more children and there are literally hundreds of living ancesters like myself.
Dewitt is burried at Hillside cemetary in Holly, Orleans Co. NY. Also burried there are his
wives and three children. This Cook family plot is in a beautiful place on a hillside in a grove
of large trees. The cemetary is terraced and is a nice place to walk and enjoy the out of doors.
Resources: (1) Cook Family Bible; (2): Grave stone at Hillside Cemetery in Holly, Orleans County, NY
17. Celestia Cynthia Burr was born on 17 Apr 1815 in Norfolk, Conn.. She died on 11 Oct 1896 in Clarendon, Orleans Co. New York. She was buried in Hillside Cemetary in Holly, Orleans Co. NY.
I believe that Celestia was born in Norfolk Conn. , but her name is not on record at the Norfolk
Town Hall. It may be that she was born somewhere else, since I have no proof. I was able to
find the birth record for Her father Elisha, on file in Norfolk. Dewitt and Celestia were both Methodists.
She lived first 18 years in Conn. accompanied parents to Sprinwater, NY, later to Clarendon, Orleans Co.
Resources: (1) Cook Family Bible; (2): Grave stone at Hillside Cemetery in Holly, Orleans County, NY.
18. Mortimer Delville Milliken was born on 11 May 1805 in Peterboro, NH. He died on 5 Feb 1900 in Clarendon, Orleans County, New York. He married Harriette Foster on 17 May 1836.
He early entered the store of A. Haskins as clerk, where he remained until his majority.
He was soon after appointed executor of the estate of an uncle which made it necessary
to go to Georgia, where he disposed of the "Woodbine Plantation". What he saw while in
the south made him a strong anti-slavery man. After his return to the north he became a
partner in a large store in Keene. He decided in 1840, to remove to the then "far west", and
drove with a horse and chaise 400 miles and took up land in Clarendon, N. Y. and
that was his home until his death. Mr. Milliken was a man of sterling integrity, energetic
in business, of a kindly and geniel disposition, so that he was respected and beloved by
all who knew him. On account of curtain doctrinal beliefs he never united with any church,
but was a devout student of the Bible, a strict observer of the sabbath, and one who
sought reverently to do the will of God. Politically, he was a strong Republican, always
taking active interest in the success of the party. For 2 years in 1861 and 62 he was supervisor
of Clarendon. He was under the care of his son George, who always lived on the homestead,
and from him received the most dutiful attention. The funeral was attended by a large circle
of relatives friends and neighbors, who by their presence and kindly words, testified
to the esteem they held the departed. His place of birth could have been Keene, NH.
19. Harriette Foster was born on 12 Jun 1805 in Keene, NH. She died on 18 Jan 1872 in Clarendon, Orleans County, New York.
20. Cyrus Gates was born on 12 Jul 1798 in Hopewell, Ontario County, N. Y.. He died on 5 Jul 1883 in LaCrosse, Wisconsin. He married Jane Wykoff on 20 Jan 1820 in Hopewell, Ontario County NY.
Cyrus lived with his daughter Jenette in LaCrosse when he died.
Resources used for the descendents of Cyrus Gates.
"The Treat Family" by John Harvey Treat, Salem, Mass., 1893.
Gates Family Info from Davis C. Green, N.J., 1959.
Miss Allee Gates, 1960.
My Grandmother Esther Pamelia Gates.
"The Wyckoff Family in America".
Clippings from the Clinton Independent 1-3-1877.
Birth and Death Certificates.
Rock County, Wis. records.
Gates Family Bible.
21. Jane Wykoff was born on 30 Oct 1799 in Seneca, County, New York . She died on 27 Dec 1876 in LaCrosse, Wisconsin. She was buried in Cinton Cemetery, Clinton, Wis..
22. Joseph Brown Gates was born on 28 Apr 1802 in Hopewell, Ontario County NY. He married Pamelia Bishop Cook about 1829.
In 1878 Elisha and Mary were still living in Hopewell, Daniel in Minn., Joseph Spencer in
Illinois, and John in Iowa.
Sources: General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA._ Alden Kindred of
23. Pamelia Bishop Cook was born on 23 Jul 1802 in Cazenovia, New York. She died on 3 May 1881.
24. James Benson was born on 19 Dec 1801. He married Catherine Schenck on 14 Apr 1822 in Old Brick Church, Marlboro, Monmouth County, New Jersey, USA .
25. Catherine Schenck was born on 10 Mar 1799 in Old Brick Church, Marlboro, Monmouth County, New Jersey, USA.
26. Francis Ainsworth was born on 27 Apr 1806. He died about 1846. He married Julia Larned about 1827.
27. Julia Larned was born estimated 1807. She died about 1844.
28. William Gulvin was born in 1822 in Boxley, Kent, England. He was christened on 5 May 1822 in Boxley, Kent, England. He died on 8 Oct 1906 in Milton Reg Dist, England. He married Elizabeth Sifleet in Dec 1840 in Maidstone All Saints. England.
29. Elizabeth Sifleet was born in 1823 in Detling, Kent. England. She was christened on 9 Jul 1826 in Detling, Kent. England. She died on 26 Jul 1876 in Newington, Kent. England.
Elizabeth Sifleet or Syfleet.
30. John Hart .John married Mary <???> Hart.
Census records, Newington, England obtained by Jack Gulvin.
31. Mary <???> Hart died on 9 Dec 1886.
Census records, Newington, England obtained by Jack Gulvin.
32. Miles Cook was born on 26 Apr 1788 in Clinton, Town of Kirkland, New York. He died about 1875 in Probably Orleans County, New York. He married Matilda Coleman in 1810 in Pompey, Onondaga County, NY..
Settlement was begun in 1787 at Clinton and it is believed that Lemuel and
Hannah emigrated from Plymouth at that date, they returned to Connecticut
before 1795 and to Pompey, New York, in 1805. Miles served in
Clark's 98th Reg., New York Militia during the War of 1812 as a Private and
was stationed at Sackets Harbor. He was in the compay commanded by
Capt. Asa Wells.He enlisted at Pompey, NY., 27 Oct 1814 and was dis.
17 Nov 1814. His commanding officer was Capt. James Carr.
His first wife was the daughter of Timothy and Elizabeth
(Dewitt) Coleman, his second wife was the daughter of William and Sally
(Reed) Tousley, a brother of each married Miles' younger sisters and
each father-in-law served in the Revolution. Miles remained at Pompey
with his family for a number of years, coming to North Bergen, New
York after the death of his first wife and before 1840 and was at Clarendon
in 1850 where he lived the remainder of his life. He was a successful farmer
throughout his life, his two eldest children were born at Pompey, the
others were born at North Bergen. Miles was baptised by a Rev. Eells.
The following were by his first wife: Dewitt, Matilda, Thomas and Curtis.
The following children were by his second wife: Mary jane, Marcus,
Orson and Phebe.
Resources: 1 Society of Clinton, Town of Kirkland, New York;
2 Congregational Church of Clinton, New York;
3 Sons of the American Revolution.
33. Matilda Coleman was born estimated 1789. She died about 1830.
34. Elisha Burr was born before 11 Apr 1786 in Norfolk, Conn... He died about 1870 in Clarendon, Orleans County, New York. He was buried in Clarendon, Orleans County, New York. He married Cynthia Baldwin estimated 1810.
Elisha was found in the Town Hall at Norfolk Conn. birth records. His parents are
listed there as Aaron Burr and Martha Tobey. The records also show the following
siblings: Martha born 4/1/1788, Jerusha born 6/23/1790, Nancy born 5/20/1792 and
Harriet born 7/7/1794. Elisha, his wife Cynthia and son Issac are burried
Resources : CBT HB page 293 #209
Records on file in Norfolk, Conn.
Grave Stone at Clarendon
35. Cynthia Baldwin was born estimated 1790 in New Marlboro, Mass.. She died about 1877. She was buried in Clarendon, Orleans County, NY.
Resource : Records on file in Norfolk, Conn.; Grave Stone at Clarendon.
36. (Edward?) Alexander Milliken was born on 8 Sep 1778 in Peterboro, NH. He died on 13 May 1854 in Keene, NH. He married Julia Bixby on 28 Oct 1804.
Alex lived in Keene, NH where he was constable, auctioneer, and active in Washingtonian movement.
37. Julia Bixby was born on 17 May 1782 in Dublin N. H. She died on 7 Feb 1874 in Canandaigua, Ontario County, New York.
38. Abijah Foster was born on 12 Sep 1762 in Topsfield, Mass... He died on 2 Apr 1822 in Keene, NH. He married Artemesia Blake on 16 Feb 1797 in Topsfield, Mass..
39. Artemesia Blake was born on 5 Dec 1765 in Keene, NH. She died on 8 Jan 1837 in Clarendon, NY.
40. Daniel Gates was born on 27 Oct 1744/1745 in Preston, Conn.. He died on 15 May 1832 in Hopewell, Ontario County, N. Y.. He was buried in Hopewel Pioneer Cemetery, Ontario County, N. Y.. He married Milcah <Ludden> Brown on 9 Jul 1794 in Worthington, Mass. .
Daniel and his first wife and four children moved from Keene, New Hampshire to Vermont
then in 1789 to Rutland county New York before settling in Hopewell, New York. He had nine
children with his first wife and five more with the widow Brown. They came as Presbyterians
and changed to Methodists after arriving in Hopewell. My sister, Mary Ann, has the family
bible for Daniel and descendants. Daniel came to hopewell by boat using the Canadaigua
Outlet on the last leg of the trip. His grave stone disagrees with the Preston records (which
have him born in Oct. 1745 ) and says he died 15 May 1832 at 87 yrs. 7 months, which
would put his birth closer to Oct. 1744. I will go with the stone as I have personally checked
it out. Daniel purchased land from Phelps in town of Gorham for 6d per acre. In April of 1791
he became an officer of the Town of Hopewell. He was first tax collector in the town of
In 1787 at Colchester, Ct., New London Co., on the poll list are:
Marvin and Daniel removed to NY together in early May 1789 according to
"History of Gorham and Phelps Purchase".
Gorham and Hopewell were formed as Easton January 27, 1789, but as to the date of
organization there appears some uncertainty, the records giving no account of town
meetings previous to April 4, 1797, and from the general character of the minute
book it is doubtless a fact that the town organization was not perfrcted before that time.
The town meeting was then held at the dwelling house of pioneer Frederick Follett,
and officers were elected as follows: Supervisor, Samuel Day; town clerk, James Austin;
assessors, Samuel Day, Frederick Follett, Silas Reed and George Brandage; collector,
John Warren; overseers of poor, Wrn. Engle and Joseph Brundage.' commissioners of
highways, Elijah Hurd, Robert Whittery, Wm. Hicks; constable, John Warren.
Succession of Supervisors - Samuel Day, 1797: James Austin, 1798;
Daniel Gates, 1799-1802; Samuel Reed, 1803-8; et. al.
Resources: History of Ontario County, Conover;
History of Ontario County New York 1876. Everts, Ensign & Everts;
Gates family Bible;
Clarence Almon Torry "Stephan Gates of Hingham, Langcaster and Cambridge, Mass."
Historical and Genealogical Register;
LDS Ancestral Files;
Preston Conn. Vital Records, Book 6. See http://www.burrcook.com/history/gatesneh.htm
Early Marriages of Conn. page 31;
Records at Norfolk Conn.;
Grave stones at Mumby Road Hopewell Pioneer Cemetery in Hopewell, Ontario County, NY.;
It may be of interest that there was a church at the above site until abt. 1880. I have in my possession,
The handwritten records from that church.
41. Milcah <Ludden> Brown was born on 17 Apr 1765. She died on 25 Jan 1846.
The children of Milcah and Joseph Brown were Joseph, Esther, Forest and 3 others.
Mary Milcah was the widow of Joseph L. Brown of Vermont when she married her second
husband Daniel Gates. Mary and Daniel had five children after 1794, all born in Hopewell.
She was 11th of 13 children.
Sources: General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA._ Alden Kindred of
America._ Gates family bible.
42. William Wyckoff .William married Isabella Covenhoven.
43. Isabella Covenhoven .
44. Daniel Gates is printed as #40 on page 10.
45. Milcah <Ludden> Brown is printed as #41 on page 11.
46. Isaac Cook .
Married Mary B. Unknown.
48. Joshua Benson was born on 5 Dec 1774 in Ireland. He died about 1826 in Cayuga, County, New York. He married Elinor Thomas estimated 1799.
"The name of "Benson", according to Peter O. Benson, (Grandfather), is an old English one,
He, Peter, also said that his Grandfather, Joshua Benson, was married to Elinor Thomas,
born Mar. 11, 1777. The Bensons first located near Philadelphia Pa., then moved to Union
Springs, N.Y., and later in the early 1800s came to Ontario County, and settled on a farm,
on either the New Michigan Road, or the N. Bloomfield Road." _ --Above written -by Clarence
May 1, 1823 assessment roll for Town of Springport, near the village of Union Springs,
in Cayuga County, New York. Joshua Benson owned farms:
lot #110 94 acres and ; lot #113 62 acres value 2800.
June 24, 1824 assessment for above was 3120 and tax was 8.04.
May 28, 1825 Joshua Benson was owner of lot #113 value 1180 tax 3.36.
James Benson, his son, owned lot #110, 93 acres valued at 1600 and with tax of 4.56.
May 30,1826 james Benson had lot #110 valued at 1581 and taxed at 3.73.
Josua's widow Elenor was on Lot # 113 valued at 1125 and taxed at 2.66.
49. Elinor Thomas was born on 11 Mar 1777.
50. John Or Jacob Schenck was born on 7 Apr 1770 in Freehold Township, Monmouth County, New Jersey, USA. He died on 8 Jan 1850 in Springport, Cayuga County, New York, USA. He was buried in 1850 in Oak Ridge Cemetery, Springport, Cayuga County, New York. He married Mary Or Polly Quackenbush on 24 Feb 1791 in Old Brick Church, Marlboro, Monmouth County, New Jersey.
In 1771 they lived at Freehold Township, Monmouth County, New Jersey, _Later removed to Genoa,
Cayuga County, New York, _and later to Springport, Cayuga County, New York, USA where
he was a successful farmer.
51. Mary Or Polly Quackenbush was born in 1772 in Freehold Township, Monmouth County, New Jersey, USA.
52. Amasa Ainsworth was born on 1 May 1767 in Woodstock, Conn. He died on 20 Nov 1846. He married Mary Peas about 1800.
53. Mary Peas was born about 1776. She died about 1815.
56. George Gulvin Sr. was born before 14 Apr 1793 in Boxley, Kent, England. He was christened on 14 Apr 1793 in Detling, Kent. England. He died in Apr 1867 in Detling, Kent, England. He was buried on 21 Apr 1867 in Detling, Kent. England. He married Mary Ann Hayburn on 5 Nov 1817 in Detling, Kent. England.
57. Mary Ann Hayburn was born in 1793. She died in Mar 1837 in Boxley, Kent, England. She was buried on 26 Mar 1837 in Detling, Kent, England.
64. Lemuel Cook was born on 10 Sep 1759 in Northbury, (Plymouth) Conn.. He died on 20 May 1866 in Clarendon, Orleans Co. New York. He married Hannah Esther Curtis on 26 Apr 1783 in Cheshire, Conn..
Lemuel was the Oldest and last living suvivor of the American Revolution and the last full pensioner of
war.He enlisted at age 16 and was wounded several times. I can picture him marching alone in parades.
He was an active Mason and a life long Domocrat. His church was Congregational. He lived in Plymouth
Conn. until 1890 when he moved to Clinton, NY. In 1795 he returned to Plymouth (then Northbury) Conn.
and moved to Pompey, NY. In 1805, moved to North Bergen in 1821 and to Clarendon, NY. in 1832
he died in 1866. Resources: Sons of the American Revolution; Family Bible; Old News Papers.
65. Hannah Esther Curtis was born on 22 Apr 1768. She died on 15 Sep 1832.
66. Timothy Coleman was born about 1752 in Shawangunk, Ulster County, New York. He died on 18 Aug 1831 in Pompey, Onondaga County, New York. He married Elizabeth Dewitt on 11 Jan 1781 in Minisink, Ulster Co., NY..
Tim enlisted 08 JAN 1775 under Col. James Clinton. He had light brown hair and blue eyes
and was 5' 7" tall. At age 22 he was a blacksmith. Clinton was subordinate to Tim's father in-law,
Jacob DeWitt of 6th Co. 2nd Reg. of militia. Born in Ulster Co. he died in Onandaga Co. NY.
He was son of William Coleman and Mary Brown.
Tim and Eliz were married in a fort which was built around the DeWitt family home by
Rev. Chas. Seeley, a Presbyterian Clergyman.
Joshua was son of Timothy Coleman. It is not definitely known whether Esther was born in
Connecticut or New York. She was baptised by Reverend Dan Bradley of the Congregational
Church of Whitestown, New York August 26,1792 at Clinton, New York. It has been shown that
Lemuel came to Clinton between 1788 and 1790. The family returned to Connecticut and
then came to Pompey at Onondaga County New York in 1804. Joshua was a son of Timothy and
Elizabeth (Dewitt) Coleman of Ulster County, New York who emigrated to Pompey at an
early date. Timothy was also a Revolutionary Soldier and served in the New York Militia from
1775-1783 as a Private, an Ensign and a Lieutenant.
Timothy was commissioned 23 Mar 1778 as an Ensign in Captain Benjamin Veal's Company. Col.
James McClaughry's NY Regimant. May 11, 1780, he was comm. Lt. in Cpt. Abraham Westfall's
Company, Lt. Col. Albert Pawlling's NY Regiment and left the service in June or July of
Elizabeth also had several brothers who were also soldiers of the
Revolution, the town of Dewitt, (near Syracuse) was named for
her family. After thier marriage Esther and Joshua resided at
Pompey and in Pennsylvania before moving to Clarendon about
1840. He was a successful farmer throughout his life, his farm
at Clarendon was on the Brown Schoolhouse Road at lot 175, he
was active in the politics of the town and served as Scool
Commissioner. Both died at Clarendon. Their children were born
at pompey and Pennsylvania. There may have been other
67. Elizabeth Dewitt was born before 10 Dec 1759 in Wawarsing or Warrasing, Ulster County, NY. She died in 1838.
68. Aaron Burr was born about 1750 in Norfolk, Conn... He died about 1821. He married Martha Tobey on 17 Dec 1778 in Norfolk Conn..
Aaron was a farmer and a member of the Congregational Church.
Sources: Records on file in Norfolk, Conn.
69. Martha Tobey was born about 1751 in Norfolk Conn..
Resource : CBT HB page 293 ; Records at Norfolk Conn.
70. David Baldwin was born on 28 Mar 1753 in Wallingford, Conn... He died about 1822 in New Marlboro, Berkshire, Mass.,. He married Lois Churchill estimated 1775.
He was previously from Hubbardston and Sheffield Mass.
The message below came by email and I believe it is correct:
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 16:25:41 -0600
Saw your Home Page on the internet while looking for Jehiel Baldwin.
I'm also a descent of Jehiel Baldwin b 21 June 1716 Milford died 1793
My line is through his second marriage 6 Apr 1749 Willingford to
Bridget Goodwin b 10 Sept 1732 d? daughter of Nathaniel Goodwin and
Bridget I beleive is the mother of your David. Bridget was also mother
of Rebecca, Mollie, Hannah, Martha (my line she married Lois brother
John), Nathanbiel and Jehiel.
David's wife Lois Churchill b 30 May 1753 Sheffield, MA
died Aug 1837 New Marlboro, MA was daugther of Samuel
Churchill and Thankful Hewitt Seager who both died in Hubbardton,
Ruthalnd co., VT. This Churchill line is from Josiah Churchill and
Elizabeth Foote of Wethersfield, CT.
71. Lois Churchill was born estimated 1755. She died about Aug 1837.
72. William Milliken was born on 2 Oct 1752 in Wilton, Hillsborough Co, NH . He died about 1808. He married Esther Taggert about 1777.
He was a member of Capt. Abijah Smith's company from Col.Enoch Hale's regiment,
New Hampshire men, for New York Revolutionary service, mustered in Sept. 21, 1776.
He married, about 1777, Esther, daughter of John and Barbara (Nay) Taggert, of
Sharon, N.H.;subsequently removed to Peterborough, New Hampshire, where he died
in 1808. His children were born in Sharon. He was most famous for his Bunker Hill
adventure. He is twin to Samuel.
73. Esther Taggert was born about 1753.
74. Rev. Nathan Bixby was born on 14 Oct 1746 in Framingham, Mass.. He died on 15 Sep 1818 in Keene, NH. He married Martha Twitchell on 3 Oct 1771 in Sherborn, Mass..
Nathan served in the revolution. see p177 vol II Bixby Genealogy. A private in Capt. Gardner Co. Mass.
75. Martha Twitchell was born on 16 Dec 1747. She died on 14 Mar 1822 in Keene, NH.
76. Abraham Foster was born on 4 May 1719 in Topsfield, Mass... He died on 27 Oct 1796 in Keene, NH. He married Priscilla Todd on 10 May 1744.
77. Priscilla Todd was born on 16 Jan 1724 in Massachusetts.
78. Dr. Obidiah Blake was born on 9 Jun 1719 in Keene, NH. He died about 1810. He married Zipporah Harris on 27 Apr 1749.
79. Zipporah Harris was born estimated 1728. She died on 25 Feb 1785 in Keene, NH.
80. Nehemiah Gates was born on 17 Mar 1722 in Preston, Conn.. He died on 30 Aug 1790 in Preston, Conn.. He married Elizabeth Baker on 14 Dec 1743 in Preston, Conn..
Resources : Preston Conn. Vital Records.
81. Elizabeth Baker was born in Oct 1727 in Norwich, Conn.. She died on 14 Jun 1759 in Preston, New London, CT.
Resouce: Norwich Vital Records.
Preston Church Records.
82. Benjamin Ludden was born estimated 1720. He married Esther Capen on 20 Sep 1722 in Braintree, Mass..
83. Esther Capen was born estimated 1723.
The Capen Genealogy says that she had 13 children and Milcah was the 11th.
Sources: General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA.
Alden Kindred of America._ Capen Genealogy.
100. Cornelius Janse Schenck was born on 19 Sep 1744 in Pleasant Valley, Monmouth County, New Jersey. He was christened on 7 Oct 1744 in Pleasant Valley, Monmouth County, New Jersey. He died on 14 Jan 1790 in New York. He married Margaret Taylor.
101. Margaret Taylor was born in 1742 in New Jersey.
104. Nathan Ainsworth was born on 20 Jul 1715 in Woodstock, Conn. He died on 24 Nov 1776 in Woodstock, Conn. He married Abigale Child on 11 Oct 1750 in Woodstock, Conn.
Nathan was a Tailor and was lame in one arm. Three of his four sons died in the
Revolutionary War. Amasa was too young to serve. Resource : AFA.
105. Abigale Child was born on 1 Jan 1729. She died on 6 Dec 1794.
Resource : AFA.
112. Thomas Gulvin was born in 1765 in Leeds, Kent, England. He was christened on 3 Nov 1765 in Leeds, Kent, England. He died in Feb 1846 in Detling, Kent. England. He was buried on 8 Feb 1846 in Leeds, Kent, England. He married Elizabeth Hook on 18 Oct 1789 in Detling, Kent, England.
113. Elizabeth Hook was born in 1765 in Detling, Kent, England. She died in 1819 in Detling, Kent, England.
128. Henry Cook IV was born on 17 Aug 1723 in Wallingford, Conn.. He died on 6 Sep 1771. He married Hannah Benham on 27 Nov 1745 in Northbury, (Plymouth) Conn..
Henry was at Northbury with his father in 1728 When he puchased his first tract of land at Welton's
Meadow. He was a soldier in the French and Indian War during the campaign of 1762 serving as a
private. He was a very Successful farmer as his father had been. After Henry died his wife Hannah
was given guardianship of their children and she did not remarry. He was a Congregationalist.
He served in the French and Indian War, 1762, in the 2nd CT. Reg. under Col. Nathan Whiting and
in the 7th Comp. commanded by Capt. Lewis. He enlisted 18 Mar 1762 and was Hon. Dis.
3 Dec 1762 as a Private.
129. Hannah Benham was born on 9 Jan 1723 in Wallingford, Conn.. She died estimated 1795.
Hannah, a widow with guardianship of her children, did not remarry. She came to upstate NY
with her sons Selah and True in 1788 at Clinton NY. Lemuel followed shortly after she died
around 1800. A member of the Congregational Chuch.
130. Thomas Curtis III was born about 1729. He died about 1776. He married Esther Benham about 1751.
131. Esther Benham was born about 1729/1730. She died about 1802.
132. William Coleman was born estimated 1720. He married Mary Brown.
133. Mary Brown was born about 1724.
134. Jacob Rutsen Dewitt was born on 13 Apr 1729 in Wawarsing, Ulster County, NY. He died on 8 Dec 1821 in Onondaga County, New York. He married Janneke (Jane) DePuy on 15 Apr 1756 in Kingston, Ulster County, New York.
"Jacobs occupation was Capt. of the Militia. In the mid 1700s, the DeWitt family was
living in Naponock. About 1760, one of the clan, Jacob Rutzen or Rutsen DeWitt, moved
to Port Jarvis. About 1770, Jacob built a stone and frame house near the Neversink
River near current Port Clinton. During the revolutionary War, a stone fort was built near
his house, called Fort DeWitt. The fort is still standing but has been enclosed in a wooden
frame and is not readily identifiable. (In case you are interested, where Highway 209 crosses
the Neversink River, on the south side of the river a road turns off to the right then doubles
back sharply toward the river, then turns north and follows the river for a ways. The old
fort is the first building on the left after the road turns north to parallel the river).
"Jacob also built a grist mill just up stream from where the old boat canal crosses the Neversink
(I think it must be about a mile above where 209 crosses the river.) If you continue driving
north from the fort there is another road that takes off to the left and climbs into the low hills
along the river. We were given directions to a house that is built on bluffs along the river just
above where the old boat cannal crosses the Neversink. From the deck of this house, the
owner (a very cordial lady) can point out the mill's raceway and water Wheel site that was
carved out of solid rock.
"Jacob Rutsen DeWitt died in Mamakating in January 1792. In his will, William Rose is referred
to as Jacob's son-in-law, apparently the husband of Jacob's daughter, Mary.
"Jacob removed to Sullivan (now Orange) County, where he purchased land on the Neversink
River. Was captain of a militia company during the Revolution. His oldest son, Moses, was
one of the surveyors to establish the boundary line between New York and Pennsylvania,
and was County Judge and Surrogate of Herkimer and Onondaga Counties, 1791-94. Moses
died Aug. 15, 1794, in the 28th year of his age. One of Jacob's daughters, named Rachel,
married Col. Robert, of Revolutionary fame." - Dick Rose
He was a member of the rangers guarding frontier Ulster and Sullivan COs. He gave his
stone house on the river Neversink, subsequently called fort Dewitt, as a refuge for women
and children during the revolution.
135. Janneke (Jane) DePuy was born about 1735 in Rochester, Ulster County, NY. She died on 18 Dec 1819 in New York County,NY.
Janneke is a little girl variation of Jane in Dutch.
136. Ebenezer Burr was born on 9 Jul 1712 in Norfolk, Conn. . He died on 12 Mar 1794. He married Reliance Burr in 1742.
Ebenezer was one of the earliest settlers of Norfolk, Conn. He was a farmer and a member of the
Pres.Church. He married his first wife, Hepsibah Brown, on Jan. 10th 1740. Hepsibah was born in
1712 and died in 1772. His 2nd wife was Reliance Unknown. It is not clear which children are from
which wife, but, I believe that Reliance was the mother of Aaron, as one of his children has the name,
Reliance. Ebenezer's son, Oliver, who was born in 1744, named one of his children Hepsibah.
Ebenezer was Baptised July 20, 1712. Resources: CBT HB#37 pg 282 ; Records Norfolk, Conn.
137. Reliance Burr was born about 1719. She died on 4 Nov 1778.
Ebenezer was one of the earliest settlers of Norfolk, Conn. He was a farmer and a member of the Pres.
Sources: Records at Norfolk Conn.
Charles Burr Todd pg 285
140. Jehiel Baldwin was born on 21 Jun 1716 in Milford, Conn.. He married Mary May on 30 Nov 1743.
141. Mary May was born estimated 1717. She died on 27 Sep 1748.
Mary was first wife of Jehiel Baldwin but is not mother of David Baldwin.
144. Alexander Milliken Jr. was born about 1720 in Castle Dawson, Londonderry, Ireland . He died before 7 Aug 1798.
Alexander Milliken Jr. was by occupation a cooper and farmer. He evidently had two wives,
the first dying in Ireland, where his eldest son James, was born eight years before his next
children. He emigrated to America, sometime between 1744 and 1751, and it is supposed
that he tarried briefly with some of the Scotch-Irish at Watertown or Cambridge, Mass;
and soon after he became a resident of Wilton, N.H. He was a member of Col. John Hart's
regiment in the Crown Point expedition in the French and Indian War, serving from
April 27 to Nov. 23, 1758. His will, probated Aug. 7, 1798, is recorded at Nashua, N.H.,
his son, Samuel, being named executor. He must have been a man of much natural force of
character, for he dealt extensively in real estate and left considerable for his time; and
though deficient in education, he was called to fill minor offices. His six children, excepting James,
were born in Wilton, N.H. For Sources: see Alex Sr.
146. John Taggert .John married Barbary Nay.
of Sharon, NH
147. Barbary Nay .
148. Joseph Bixby was born on 10 Sep 1710 in Boxford, Mass... He died about 1776. He married Mehitable Rugg about 1732.
149. Mehitable Rugg was born on 15 Sep 1711 in Framingham, Mass..
150. Capt. Joseph Twitchell was born on 13 Feb 1718 in Sherborn, Mass.. He died on 12 Mar 1792. He married Deborah Fairbanks on 28 Jun 1739.
Joseph was a Capt in militia in 1776. He was at one time a Magistrate, Town Clerk and a
151. Deborah Fairbanks was born on 12 Nov 1719 in Sherborn, Mass.. She died on 12 Sep 1775.
Her will was made and probated on 12 Dec 1711.
152. Abraham Foster was born on 12 Jan 1696 in Ipswich, Mass.. He died on 23 Apr 1767. He married Sarah Dunnell estimated 1716.
153. Sarah Dunnell was born about 1696. She died on 10 Apr 1732.
154. Abner Todd was born on 12 Jul 1700. He died on 21 Apr 1737. He married Elizabeth Worcester on 19 Feb 1723.
155. Elizabeth Worcester was born estimated 1701 in Bradford Mass...
156. Robert Blake was born in 1676. He died on 4 Oct 1735. He married Sarah Guild on 7 Jan 1702.
157. Sarah Guild was born on 3 Jun 1683. She died on 30 Jul 1757.
.John GUILD was born about 1616 in England. He died on 4 Oct 1682.
John married Elizabeth CROOKE on 24 Jun 1645. Elizabeth was born estimated 1620.
She died on 31 Aug 1669 in Roxbury, Mass..
John and Elizabeth had the following children:
John GUILD was born on 29 Nov 1649. He died on 24 Jan 1724.
John GUILD (John) was born on 29 Nov 1649 in Dedham, Mass.. . He died on 24 Jan 1724.
John married Sarah FISHER daughter of Anthony FISHER and Joanna FAXON on 22 Mar 1677. Sarah
was born estimated 1650 in Dedham, Mass.. .
John and Sarah were the parents of Sarah GUILD.
160. Stephen Gates was born estimated 1690. He married Hannah Woodward on 6 Nov 1713.
1. CAMBRIDGE: "History of Cambridge, Massachusetts 1630-1877 / With A
Genealogical Register" by Lucius R. Paige. With a "Supplement and Index
/ Comprising / A Biographical and Genealogical Record of the Early
Settlers and their Descendants; with References to Their Wills and the
Administration of Their Estates in the Middlesex County Registry of
Probate" by Mrs. Mary Isabella Gozzaldi. Pub. by the Cambridge
Historical Society, Cambridge, 1930.
2. GATES-1898: "Stephen Gates, of Hingham and Lancaster, Massachusetts
and His Descendants / A Preliminary Work Subject to Addition and
Correction" by Charles Otis Gates; Willis McDonald & Co., New York,
3. GATES-1972: "The Gates Family History" by Pearl Curtiss, pub.
privately (typescript), 1972.
4. GATES-1976: "Abel Gates, 1793-1870 / His Ancestors, His Descendants"
by Leo K. Gates, pub. Dinner & Klein, Seattle, 1976.
5. GATES-1979: "My Gates Ancestry / Ancestry of Samuel Gates
(1785-1841) of Bridgton, Maine; Waterford, Ohio; and Greene County,
Illinois, etc." by Margaret Tomlin Bellatti; privately printed,
Jacksonville, Illinois, 1979.
6. HING-HIST2-1893: "History of the Town of Hingham, Massachusetts" (in
three volumes), Vol. II (Genealogical). Pub. by the Town, 1893.
7. HOBART-1912: "Hobart History and Genealogy / 1632 to 1912" by Edwin
L. Hobart, Denver, CO, 1912.
8. LAN-VR: "The Birth, marriage and Death Register, Church Records and
Epitaphs of Lancaster, Massachusetts 1643-1850, edited by Henry S.
Nourse; Lancaster, MA, 1890.
9. NE-FAMS-1914: "New England Families / Genealogical and Memorial / A
Record of the Achievements of Her People in the making of Commonwealths
and the Founding of a Nation," compiled under the editorial supervision
of William Richard Cutter, A.M., Corresponding Secretary and Historian
of the New England Historic-Genealogical Society, etc., in 4 volumes;
pub. by Lewis Historical Publishing Co., New York, 1914.
10. NEHGR: "The New England Historical and Genealogical Register"
11. NE-ORIGINS: "English Origins of New England Families / From The New
England Historical and Genealogical Register" Second Series (in Three
Volumes); Gary Boyd Roberts, compiler; Genealogical Publishing Company
12. TAG: "The American Genealogist" (periodical).
161. Hannah Woodward was born estimated 1691.
Hannah admitted to Preston Church (page 136) 1715 April 17. She Owned Covenent.
Sources: Preston Conn. Vital Records; Preston Church Records pgs 132-143.
162. Nathaniel Baker .Nathaniel married Mary Longbottom on 20 Aug 1722.
Norwich Vital Records.
Preston Church Records.
163. Mary Longbottom .
166. John Capen was born on 16 Oct 1694 in Dorchester, Mass.. . He died about 1748. He married Ruth Thayer on 20 Sep 1722.
Note: !Birth-Relationship: Registry division. Boston, Certified copy of Record of Birth,
Certificate No. 50887B. 1982 book 1684, page 13, Dorchester, Mass.
Resource : General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA.;
Town of Braintree vital records vol. 1, page 89.
167. Ruth Thayer was born on 1 Apr 1704 in Braintree, Mass...
Resource : General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA.
Also see Town of Braintree vital records vol. 1, page 89._ Alden Kindred of
200. Jan Roelofse Schenck was born on 22 Jan 1719/1720 in Pleasant Valley, Monmouth County, New Jersey. He was christened on 12 Mar 1720/1721 in Pleasant Valley, Monmouth County, New Jersey. He died on 27 Jun 1749 in Holmdel, Pleasant Valley, Monmouth County, New Jersey. He married Jacominka Cornelise Van Couwenhoven on 3 Jul 1765 in Freehold Township, Monmouth County, New Jersey.
Religion: Dutch Reformed.
201. Jacominka Cornelise Van Couwenhoven was born on 4 Oct 1717 in Middletown, Monmouth County, New Jersey, USA. She was christened on 28 Nov 1717 in Old Brick Church, Marlboro, Monmouth County, New Jersey, USA. She died on 10 Oct 1764 in Freehold Township, Monmouth County, New Jersey, US.
AKA: Jacomynthie Conover, Jacometje Covenhoven Or Conover.
208. Edward Ainsworth was born about 1652 in England. He died on 5 Mar 1740. He married Joanna Hemingway on 11 Jan 1687.
This account comes from Ambrose Ainsworth and passed to me though my uncle
Clarence Ainsworth Benson.
begin quote ....................
The Ainsworth family are of English origin. The earliest known data of record is that of the
birth of Edward, near Springfield, Massachusetts. It is supposed, but not Known for sure,
that Edward's parents came from England about 1654. Evidence indicates that all of the
descendants of Edward resided in Massachusetts until 1830, when the Amasa
Ainsworth, born 1776, and his three sons by his second wife, migrated to Western New York,
settling at Bloomfield, Ontario County. In the year 1858 two of these sons, William and
Whitman, migrated to Monroe, Wisconsin. The other brother, Francis, returned to
Massachusetts in 1844. All the Ainsworths in the United States (not numerous) are supposed
to have descended from Edward's parents. This record of the Ainsworth family was
originally compiled by Ambrose F. Ainsworth, and at the time of that writing, the first day of
march, 1919, he was the only surviving son of Francis Ainsworth. Being a printer, the type
setting for this family record was done by his own hand, in the eightieth year of his life, in the
office of his son, Frank J. Ainsworth, in Council Bluffs, Iowa. He Began his printing
apprenticeship in January, 1856, at Canandaigua, ontario County, New York. It was his wish
that certain heirlooms be handed down and the family records continued. Three of the men
named in this family record were in the Revolutionary Army, one, Luther, was killed in the
siege if Boston, and another fought at Bunker Hill. A recurrence of the same first name in
multiple generations is noted. Some of the most popular being, Nathan, Luther and Amasa.
The family heirlooms contain a portrait of Hannah Ainsworth taken in 1851, and is a
daguerreotype photograph, one of the first types developed for cameras. There is also a bit of
red fox furs, which were wedding gifts to Hannah Ainsworth, some plaid linen made by her in
1812 from flax grown on her father's farm near Grauton, Connecticut. She was responsible
for the spinning, coloring and weaving of this cloth by hand, a remarkable achievement.
end quote ..................
Further information is taken from the published genealogy entitled "Ainsworth Families
in America" (AFA).
Edward was born in England and arrived in Roxbury, Mass. before his marriage to Johannah
Hemingway who was born in Roxbury. He came to this country when he was asked by his
uncle Daniel to come and become his heir. They removed from Roxbury to Woodstock in
Worcester County Mass. after the birth of their eighth child. Woodstock later came under
jurisdiction of the state of Conn. There Edward was a successful husbandman and when he
became too old to run the farm he turned it over to his oldest son with the stipulation, which
was the custom of the day, that maintenance be provided for him and Johanna for the rest of
The Ainsworth family undoubtedly takes its name from the chapelry Ainsworth
(i.e. Aynes or Haynes enclosure) commonly called Cockey Moor, which is
situated in the Parish of Middleton, Salford Hundred, in the County Palestine of
So long ago as 1369, A.D., John Ainsworth was of that ilk and owned lands there,
but Baynes Directory for 1825 gave no one of the name as an inhabitant---there were
then no Ainsworths in Ainsworth. The place was always a small one, and the census of
1881 states its population as only 1729 and its area as 1309 acres.
Burke's General Armory gives four coats of arms. A picture is included on my web site
at http://www.burrcook.com/history/ainspic.htm or in the book "Ainsworth Families in America".
Every war here has seen the Ainsworth name repeated on its muster rolls, and the
number who died in the French and Indian War and the American Revolution seems out of
Proportion to the number who bear the name.
The book "Ainsworth Families in America" is limited to the genealogy of those who
migrated to the new world.
One Anchor Ainsworth, by his attorney, Henry Rashley, sold his house plot in Boston
March 30, 1647, to Joseph Phippeni. There is nothing else to show that Anchor himself
was ever in New England, and nothing to suggest any conection between him and other
Ainsworths, except the fact that about the same time Daniel Ainsworth appears on
the records as the owner of lands in Roxbury.
Daniel Ainsworth and his wife Alice were in Roxbury as early as 1647, he then being the
owner of a house and home lot of 12 acres besides 20 or more other acres. He died
Nov. 13, 1680, leaving no will, and his property was appraised at (L198). Alice died Jan. 9,
1684-5, and the estate, real and personal, was again inventoried and valued at (L192.04.02).
Among the chattels valued each time was a bible which it might be interesting to see.
There is no record of any children born to Daniel and Alice.
Feb. 13, 1684-5, Mr. Gore of Roxbury was appointed Administrator in place of [the name
is lost but probably it was Alice] "in behalf of the heir or next of kin," and there is nothing
on the probate records to show what became of the property; but, there is little doubt that the
estate passed by operation of law --- not by deed --- to the next of kin, or that Edward
Ainsworth was this next of kin.
Daniel's homestead when he died consisted of a house and twenty acres adjoining,
a part of this land being probably the ten acres of home lot that he bought of John Stow
[or Stave] and the same that Daniel morgaged in 1649 to Philip Eliot: and no doubt the
home lot was the same named in Roxbury Book of Possessions before 1654 as owned
by Daniel Ainsworth and there described as "bounded northerly by a highway."
November 4, 1664, he deeded to Philip Curtis twelve acres of meadow, bounding the
same on the west by other land of Daniel.
Resource : Ainsworth Families in America (AFA) #1.
Edward's will was dated Aug. 10, 1737 and proved Aug. 18, 1741.
209. Joanna Hemingway was born on 21 Sep 1670 in Roxbury, Mass.. She died on 23 Dec 1748.
Resource : Ainsworth Families in America (AFA).
210. John Child .John married Abigail Child.
211. Abigail Child .
224. Henry Gulvin Sr. was born in 1737 in Horsmonden, Kent. England. He was christened on 18 Sep 1737 in Horsmonden, Kent. England. He died in Feb 1783 in Leeds, Kent, England.. He was buried on 18 Feb 1783 in Leeds, Kent, England.. He married Ann Burren on 20 May 1761 in Hollingbourne, Kent, England .
225. Ann Burren was born in 1741 in Langley, Kent. England. She was christened on 18 Jun 1741 in Langley, Kent. . She died in Dec 1770 in Langley, Kent. England. She was buried on 4 Jan 1771 in Leeds, Kent, England..
256. Henry Cook III was born about 1683 in Salem, Mass.. He died about 1750 in Northbury, (Plymouth) Conn.. He married Sarah Turner Frost about 1719.
Emigrated to Branford after the death of his first wife, who was a daughter of Robert Lyman
an early settler of Hartford, his second wife was a daughter of John and Mary (Payne) Frost
and widow of John Wheaton, his third wife was a daughter of Richard Turner and the widow
of Samuel Frost. Henry emigrated to Waterbury and was at Northbury in 1725, he was the
first settler of the town, a founding member of the First Congregational Church of Northbury
(now Thomaston and Plymouth). His farm was on the west bank of the river above the
village of Thomaston. He died at Northbury and his children were born at Wallingford,
Branford and Waterbury.
He was with a company of twenty one men who marched from Branford, Guilford and
Wallingford to Waterbury, Litchfield County CT in 1725, and he was one of seven men
and a Sergeant of this Militia unit who were dispatched from Waterbury for the protection
of Litchfield and the Northwest inhabitants. Northbury was the area between Waterbury,
along the river and Litchfield, it was shortly hereafter that Henry and his family became
the first settlers of Northbury.
257. Sarah Turner Frost was born in 1690.
Widow of Richard Turner/Towner.
258. Nathan Benham was born on 10 Jul 1679 in New Haven, CT.. He died in Jun 1757 in Cheshire, New Haven, CT.. He married Mary Rudd.
259. Mary Rudd was born estimated 1690.
260. Thomas Curtis was born about 1685. He died about 1758. He married Mary Curtis about 1714.
261. Mary Curtis was born estimated 1686.
262. Joseph Benham was born about 1685. He died about 1754. He married Hope Cook.
263. Hope Cook was born about 1686. She died about 1731.
264. John Coleman was born about 1682. He died about 1733.
268. Egbert B. Dewitt was born on 18 Mar 1699 in Marbletown, Ulster County, NY.. He died in Napanoch, Ulster County, NY. He married Mary (Maria) Nottingham on 4 Nov 1726 in Kingston, Ulster County, New York.
Resource Anjou II, page 83.
269. Mary (Maria) Nottingham was born estimated 19 May 1700 in Ulster County, New York. She died about 1774 in Ulster County, New York.
Resource KRDC 603. Egbert and Mary were accepted as members of the RDC of Warwasing on Sept.
270. Moses (Dupuis) DePuy was born on 27 Sep 1691 in Kingston, Ulster County, NY.. He died about 1769 in Kingston, Ulster County, NY.. He married Margaret (Margrietje) Schoonmaker on 14 Feb 1716 in Kingston, Ulster County, New York.
He was a prosperous farmer near Rondout Creek, much devoted to religion, humane
in his disposition. Served inthe French War. Assemblyman 7 years. His second marriage
was to the widow of John Robinson of Long Island.
His baptismal record is in Hoes records with sponsors : Cornelius Masten
and Grietje Elmendorf.
resource : B9 Schoonmaker
Banns registered Jan. 22
271. Margaret (Margrietje) Schoonmaker was born on 15 Dec 1695 in Kingston, Ulster County, NY.. She died on 18 Dec 1819 in NY. NY..
272. John Burr was born about 1670. He married Sarah Phelps estimated 1690.
John and Sarah settled in Farmington Conn. About 1712. John owned Covenant 1st
Church of Hartford Dec. 3rd 1693 and Sarah Burr owned it From Feb. 23, 1695 thru
1696. Resources: Charles Burr Todd HB # 7 pg 282.
273. Sarah Phelps was born estimated 1663. She died on 5 Feb 1762.
Resources: Charles Burr Todd.
280. Daniel Baldwin was born about 3 Mar 1688 in Milford, Conn.. He died about 1767. He married Patience Baldwin.
His wife's name was Patience who survived him by a number of years.
They were in Wallingford in 1728.
281. Patience Baldwin .
288. Alexander Milliken was born estimated 1669 in near Dawson Bridge, Ireland.
Alexander Milliken was a Presbiterian, and a native of the Lowlands of Scotland, he resided at
Dawson Bridge in N. Ireland. Defended Londonberry in Siege of 1689. G. T. Ridlon, in his
book "Saco Valley Settlements and Families," says this of the origin of the Millikens of
Keene, N. H. The Name Milliken is of Saxon origin and was first written Millingas,
being of date as early as the 13th century. We are left in doubt as to the signification,
for there are no reliable authorities on definition of early Saxon surnames. The
name has been traced from its original source, and from its Norman-French adoption,
directly into England and southern counties of Scotland and Ireland bordering on the Irish
Sea, whence families have scattered into other sections of those lands. The name in
Scotland is spelled "Milliken", in Ireland, "Milligan", and in England, "Millikin" and "Millican".
In the north of Scotland it is sometimes found as "Mulliken". In United States the surname
in various branches of the family has been spelled Mulliken, Milliken, Millikin, Millican and
Millikan. Alexander Milliken, from Lowlands of Scotland, resided at Castle Dawson near
Dawson Bridge near the river Boyne, in the province of Ulster, north of Ireland. He is said
to have been one of four brothers who were among the sturdy defenders of Londonberry
in the memorable siege of 1689, he alone surviving. His grandson, James, who was probably
reared mostly in the family of his grandfather, remembered that at his grandfather's funeral
the military turned out to do honor to his memory as one of the survivors of the siege.From
this Alexander, through his sons William and Alexander, have descended many branches
and numerous families now scattered through the Union. The Millikens were staunch
Protestants and their posterity have generally exhibited the moral and religious
charecteristics of their progenitors.
Resource: History of the Families Millingas & Millanges of Saxony & Normandy -
Including Millikens etc. -by Rev. Gideon T. Ridlon Sr. (1907)
Millikens of Wilton and Sharon, New Hampshire
Albert Annett & Alice Lehtinen, HISTORY OF JAFFREY, NH Vol.II
296. Joseph Bixby was born on 29 Mar 1683. He married Lydia Peabody on 4 Jan 1705 in Boxford, Mass..
297. Lydia Peabody was born estimated 1684. She died on 9 Mar 1765 in Framingham, Mass..
She is dau. of Jos. Peabody and Bethia Bridges.
298. Jonathan Rugg was born estimated 10 Feb 1681 in Framingham, Mass. . He died on 25 Dec 1753 in Framingham, Mass.. He married Hannah Singletary on 11 Dec 1710 in Framingham, Mass..
Jonathan was a blacksmith.
299. Hannah Singletary was born on 23 May 1685 in Haverhill, Essex, Mass...
300. Joseph Twitchell was born on 3 Sep 1688. He died on 31 Jan 1728. He married Elizabeth Holbrook.
301. Elizabeth Holbrook was born on 22 Jul 1696.
302. Capt. Eleasur Fairbanks was born on 29 Dec 1690 in Sherborn, Mass.. He died about 19 Sep 1741 in Sherborn, Mass.. He married Martha Bullard.
303. Martha Bullard was born estimated 1691.
304. Abraham Foster was born on 16 Oct 1659 in Ipswich, Mass.. He died on 23 May 1741. He married Mary Robinson on 15 Dec 1693.
305. Mary Robinson was born estimated 1660.
308. Samuel Todd was born on 9 Jul 1670 in Rowley, Mass... He married Priscilla Bradstreet.
his wife, Priscilla, was the widow of Nathaniel Bradstreet.
309. Priscilla Bradstreet .
312. John Blake . was born estimated 1630. He died on 25 May 1700.
314. John Guild was born on 29 Nov 1649 in Dedham, Mass.. . He died on 24 Jan 1724. He married Sarah Fisher on 22 Mar 1677.
315. Sarah Fisher was born estimated 1650 in Dedham, Mass.. .
320. Stephen Gates was born on 17 Jul 1665 in Boston, Suffolk, MA. He died on 4 Nov 1732 in Preston, New London, CT. He married Jemima Benjamin on 8 Nov 1686 in Stow, Middlesex, MA.
Stephen Gates, born in Lancaster, Worcester, Massachusetts, 17 July 1665; died in
Preston, New London, Connecticut, 4 November 1732. He married in Stow, 8 November
1686, Jemima Benjamin, daughter of Joseph and Sarah (Clark) Benjamin, born in
Connecticut, 1664; died in Preston. Stephen Removed from Stow to Preston before
6 June 1694, when he sold land to brother Simon. By terms of his will, proved 30
November 1732, each of his five daughters were to receive £100. "In 1711 the town
of Preston granted to Stephen Gates 14 acres and water power running through it on
condition that he build and operate a saw and grist mill. The land is now in the town of
Griswold at Hopeville. In 1742, his son Stephen Gates, Jr., set apart one acre for a burying
place. The Gates family used it for many years. There are about 250 graves, 41 with
inscriptions." [Torrey, NEHGR 120:165, citing Homer W. Brainard].
Resources: Mass. Gen. p2682 ; Conn. Gen. val 2 p1090 for the Banjamin family.
Stow, Middlesex county, Mass. Vital Records.
321. Jemima Benjamin was born about 1667 in Yarmouth, Barnstable, MA. She died in Preston, New London, CT.
Sources: Stow, Middlesex County, Mass. Vital Records.
Preston, Conn. Town Records 1686-1745 (typewritten copy page 43)
Conn. Gen. vol. 2 p1090 for the Benjamin family
334. Ephraim Thayer was born on 17 Nov 1669 in Braintree, Mass... He died on 15 Jun 1757 in Braintree, Mass... He married Sarah Bass on 7 Jan 1692.
He died suddenly in his 88th year. A great number of people attended his funeral.
Resource : General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA.
335. Sarah Bass was born on 29 Mar 1672 in Braintree, Mass... She died on 19 Aug 1751 in Braintree, Mass...
Sources: General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA._ Alden Kindred of
400. Black, Roelof Janse Schenck was born on 21 Feb 1691/1692 in Flatlands, Brooklyn, Kings County, Long Island, New York. He died on 19 Jan 1766 in Holmdel, Pleasant Valley,
Monmouth County, New Jersey. He was buried in Jan 1766 in Holmdel, Pleasant Valley, Monmouth County, New Jersey. He married Geeyse Hendrickson on 26 Nov 1741 in Old Brick Church, Marlboro, Monmouth County, New Jersey.
401. Geeyse Hendrickson .
Other spellings of her name : Geeyse Or Geesje Or Gesye Hendrickson.
418. Joshua Hemingway was born before 9 Apr 1643. He married Johanna Evans on 16 Jan 1667.
419. Johanna Evans was born estimated 1647. She died about 1675.
448. Samuel Gulvin Sr. was born in 1697 in Marden, Kent, England. He died in Jun 1750 in Horsmonden, Kent. England. He was buried on 13 Jun 1750 in Horsmonden, Kent. England. He married Martha Stephens on 6 Jul 1725 in Horsmonden, Kent. England.
449. Martha Stephens was born about 1700. She died in Jun 1759 in Horsmonden, Kent. England.
512. Henry Cook II was born on 30 Oct 1652 in Salem, Mass.. He died about 1705. He married Mary Hall on 30 Sep 1677/1678 in Wallingford, Conn.
Emigrated to Wallingford in 1674 becomming one of the first settlers of the town. Was
elected to various offices of the town. In 1690 he removed to Hanover or South Meriden
on a tract he received by drawing lots. He died on this tract of land. He was a successful
513. Mary Hall was born about 1654. She died on 31 Oct 1718.
516. John Benham Jr was born about 1623 in England. He died about 1691 in New Haven Co., CT.. He married Mercy Smith on 3 Mar 1667/1668 in Dorchester, MASS..
517. Mercy Smith was born on 22 Feb 1645 in New Haven, CT. . She died after 1679.
dau. of George Smith and Sarah unknown.
520. Thomas Curtis was born on 14 Jan 1648/1649 in Stratford, Fairfield Co., CT. He died about 1736 in Wallingford, New Haven Co., CT. He married Mary Merriman about 1674.
521. Mary Merriman was born on 12 Jul 1657 in New Haven, New Haven Co., CT. She died on 9 Jun 1674 in Wallingford, New Haven Co., CT.
524. Joseph Benham was born about 1659. He died about 1702. He married Hannah Merriman on 17 Aug 1682.
525. Hannah Merriman was born on 16 May 1651 in New Haven, New Haven Co., CT.
528. William Coleman was born about 1650 in Glouster, Mass.. He died about 1705. He married Mary Mapes.
529. Mary Mapes was born about 1662. She died about 1707.
536. Andries Dewitt was born on 1 Jan 1657 in New Amsterdam. He died on 22 Jul 1710 in Kingston, Ulster County, NY.. He married Jannetje Egbertson about Mar 1682 in Old Dutch Church, Kingston, Ulster County, NY.
Marriage registered in Old Dutch Church.
537. Jannetje Egbertson was born before 11 Jan 1664 in Kingston, Ulster County, NY.. She died on 23 Nov 1733 in Kingston, Ulster County, NY..
538. William Nottingham was born about 1670 in Marbletown, Ulster County, NY.. He died about 1731 in Marbletown, Ulster County, NY.. He married Margaret Bergen Rutsen on 22 Jun 1702 in Kingston, Ulster County, NY..
539. Margaret Bergen Rutsen was born about 1680 in N. Y. State. She died about 1731 in N. Y. State.
resouce : married KRDC.
540. Moses Du Puis or DePuy was born about 1657 in Antois, France. He died about 1754 in Marbletown, Ulster County, NY.. He married Maria Wyncoop about 1680 in Ulster County, NY.
Moses studied navigation and engaged to go as captain on a merchantman. He
went to Kingston, got acquainted with Miss Maria Wynkoop - went down & the
and the ship not going - came again & got married. At the age of 92 he was
described as very healthy, florid countenance, common size, broad, strong,
straight. He was a Justice of the Peace.
Resources : USGS DePuy Chart.
541. Maria Wyncoop was born about 1660 in Albany, Albany County, New York.. She died before 1724 in Marbletown, Ulster County, NY..
She had land upon her marriage that was traded for Beekman's half of
Beekman's and Herman Hendrick Rosekrans' patent in Rochester. They
settled here and it was considered "wilderness". Their friends feared for
their safety. They lived for sometime under a tree.
Several daughters must have died in infancy or early childhood.
542. Jochem Hendricks Schoonmaker was born about 1655 in Albany, New York.. He died about 1730 in Kingston, Ulster County, NY.. He married Anna Hussey on 28 Apr 1689 in Kingston, Ulster County, New York.
Jochem was supervisor of Rochester 1709-1712 and a captain of a company
of for defense against the Indians. Tradition says that, at age 9 yrs., during
the Wiltwyck Massacre he was on his way to his uncle Volckert Jansen Douw's
& was captured by a Wappinger Indian named Wamassum. During his
captivity he suffered from their brutality and was scarred by coals thrown
at his head. He became one of the first trustees of the Rochester Patent.
The church records at Albany prior to 1865 were lost.
Resources : KRDC 100 ; A-1 Schoonmkr.
543. Anna Hussey "Antje" was born before 27 Jun 1670 in Marbletown, Ulster County, NY.. She died about 1752 in Ulster County, New York.
544. Samuel Burr was born estimated 1630 in England. He died on 4 Mar 1698. He married Mary Bazey estimated 1665 in Hartford, Conn..
He was made a freeman at Hartford in May of 1658. He seems to have been a man
of great energy and business sense, and left quite a large estate which was distributed
to all of his children.
resources : Charles Burr Todd HB page 281 #2
545. Mary Bazey was born estimated 1630. She died about 1684.
560. Jonathan Baldwin was born on 15 Feb 1649 in New Haven, Conn... He died on 13 Dec 1739 in Milford, Conn, . He married Hannah Ward on 2 Apr 1677.
561. Hannah Ward was born estimated 1650.
592. Joseph Bixby was born about 1649 in Ipswitch, Essex, Mass.. He died on 5 Oct 1725 in Boxford, Essex, Mass.. He married Sarah Gould on 29 Mar 1682 in Roxford, Essex, Mass..
His parents were Joseph Bixby and Sarah Hearde.
593. Sarah Gould was born estimated 18 Dec 1654 in Topsfield, Essex, Mass.. She died on 4 Dec 1723 in Boxford, Essex, Mass..
Source: LDS Ancestral File.
594. Jos. Peabody .Jos. married Bethia Bridges.
595. Bethia Bridges .
598. Nathaniel Singletary was born on 28 Oct 1644 in Haverhill, Essex, Mass.. . He died on 13 Aug 1689 in Haverhill, Essex, Mass.. . He married Sarah Belknap on 22 Dec 1673 in Haverhill, Essex, Mass..
599. Sarah Belknap was born about 1655 in Massachusetts..
600. Joseph Twitchell was born about 1655 in Dorchester, Suffolk, Mass. He died on 24 Oct 1710 in Sherborn, Mass.. He married Lydia Johnson in Jul 1678 in Sherborn, Middlesex, MA.
He was son of Benjamin Twitchell (born 1599 in England) and Mary Riggs
whose parents were Edward and Elizabeth Riggs in Roxbury in 1635 from England.
His will mentions Mary Riggs Twitchell.
601. Lydia Johnson was born in 1642 in Lancaster, Worcester, MA. She died on 27 Apr 1725 in Sherborn, Middlesex, MA.
602. John Holbrook .John married Silence Wood.
John was killed in Indian wars.
603. Silence Wood was born unknown.
604. Eleaser Fairbanks was born on 8 Apr 1655.
Eleaser's wifes name was Martha.
606. Capt. Samuel Bullard. .
608. Abraham Foster was born about 1622 in England. He married Lydia Burbank estimated 1655.
609. Lydia Burbank was born estimated 1625 in Rowley, Mass..
610. Robert Robinson was born Newbury, Mass..
616. John Todd was born about 1648. He died about 1689.
Johns wife was named Susannah.
618. Nathaniel Bradstreet .
628. John Guild was born about 1616 in England. He died on 4 Oct 1682. He married Elizabeth Crooke on 24 Jun 1645.
629. Elizabeth Crooke was born estimated 1620. She died on 31 Aug 1669 in Roxbury, Mass..
630. Anthony Fisher was born about 1591. He died on 8 Oct 1683. He married Joanna Faxon.
631. Joanna Faxon was born about 1620.
640. Stephen Gates was born in 1640 in Cambridge, Suffolk, MA. He died on 9 Jul 1707 in Acton, Mass.. He married Sarah Woodward about 1664 in Watertown, Mass..
Stephen married Sarah Woodward dau of George and Elizabeth (Hammond) Woodward. of
Watertown Mass. They also resided at Stow before settling in Preston, Conn.
Stephen married Sarah WOODWARD of Watertown, MA.
From HOBART-1912: "Stephen-2 GATES (Stephen-1) married Sarah Woodward, grand-daughter of
his step-father, and led a very migratory life. In Boston, where he was living February 17, 1667 [citing
Middlesex Deeds 3:262], he was an assistant to Edward Drinker, a potter and Baptist preacher. In 1673
he was of Cambridge, when Drinker deeded to him three hundred acres in the wilderness between
lancaster and Concord on both sides of Elizabeth Brook [citing Middlesex Deeds 5:180]. He was of Stow
in 1684 when he took an Indian title to the Elizabeth brook property [citing Middlesex Deeds 9:57], and
there he and his son Stephen were taxed in 1688. "Of Stow, sick in body, he made his will September 5,
1701, giving his entire farm to his six sons, after the decease of his wife Sarah. Out of the moveable
estate _30 was to go to his daughter Sarah and _20 to daughter Rebecca who had received part of
her portion since her marriage. Executors: wife Sarah and eldest son Stephen. He [Stephen] died July 9,
1707, and the will was proved September 19, 1707 [citing Middlesex Probate No. 8966]." Stephen
GATES and his wife Sarah had eight children: Stephen-3, Simon, Thomas, Isaac, Nathaniel, Sarah,
Rebecca and Daniel. Of these, Stephen and Thomas are known to have been at Preston, CT by 1708. I
know of no evidence that their father, Stephen, ever lived at Preston; certainly, their uncle, Thomas, had
moved to Preston by October 1703.
641. Sarah Woodward was born on 6 Feb 1642 in Watertown, Middlesex, MA. She died after Sep 1707 in Cambridge, Suffolk, MA.
Her parents may have been George and Elizabeth Woodward.
Another source (probably more reliable) says the mother of Sarah Woodward is _Mary Gibson.
The father of George Woodward was Thomas Woodward.
Sources: History of Cambridge Mass.
642. Joseph Benjamin died in 1704 in New London, Conn.. He married Jemima Lumbard on 10 Jun 1661.
He settled on a farm near the meadows on the north side of the Miller farm. He owned an estate
in Cambridge which he sold 30 Oct. 1686, he removed to New London, Conn. where he died
in 1704 leaving a widow Sarah.
Sources: Middlesex County, Mass. Vital Records.
Preston, Conn. Town Records 1686-1745 (typewritten copy page 43)
Conn. Gen. vol. 2 p1090 for the Benjamin family
Barnstable families page 143, Bullard Genealogy.
643. Jemima Lumbard .
668. Shadrach Thayer was born estimated 1640. He married Deliverance Priest.
669. Deliverance Priest was born estimated 1640.
670. John Bass was born on 18 Sep 1630 in Saffron Walden, Essex, England. He died on 12 Sep 1716 in Braintree, Mass... He married Ruth Alden on 12 May 1657 in Dorchester, Mass.
John is the son of Samuel and Anne Bass. There was a second marraige to /Sturtephant/ of
Plymouth. Resources : General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA.
671. Ruth Alden was born estimated 1635 in Plymouth, Plymouth County, Massachusetts.. She died on 12 Oct 1674 in Braintree, Mass...
Sources: General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA.
800. Jan Roelfse Schenck was born on 10 Feb 1669/1670 in New Amersfoort, Flatlands, First Achtervelt, Brooklyn, Kings County, L.I. NY. He was christened on 1 Mar 1669/1670 in Flatlands, Brooklyn, Kings County, Long Island, New York. He died on 30 Jan 1753 in Holmdel, Pleasant Valley, Monmouth County, New Jersey. He married Sarah Willemse Van Couwenhoven.
801. Sarah Willemse Van Couwenhoven "Saartje".
836. Ralph Hemingway was born estimated 1614. He married Elizabeth Hewes on 5 Jul 1634.
I believe there were three sons.
837. Elizabeth Hewes was born estimated 1615. She died on 2 Feb 1686 in Roxbury, Mass..
896. George Gulvin was born on 23 Sep 1658 in Marden, Kent, England. He was christened on 17 Oct 1658 in Marden, Kent, England. He died before 18 Dec 1737 in Horsmonden, Kent. England. He was buried on 18 Dec 1737 in Horsmonden, Kent. England. He married Mary Gulvin about 1682 in England.
897. Mary Gulvin was born estimated 1660 in England. She was christened on 17 Oct 1658 in Marden, Kent, England. She died before 1770 in England.
1024. Henry Cook was born about 1615 in Yorkshire, England. He died on 25 Dec 1661 in Salem, Mass.. He married Judith Birdsall on 29 Jun 1639 in Salem, Mass.
Henry was the first Cook in America. He was at Salem, Mass. in 1638 and most likely
arrived in US a short time before that. He is believed to be a descendant of the Cooks
of Kent or Hertsfordshire who migrated from Normandy in the 11th century. He came
to New England as a Puritan. Sons, Samuel and Henry Jr. emigrated to Connecticut
while the rest remained in Mass. The family also lived at Plymouth Conn. for a time.
The farm was passed to the widow after he died and it is unknown where it passed
from there. Henry was a Butcher .
Resources : Families of Ancient New Haven p27.
Note. I recieved the following eMail from another Cook tracker:_ "The only information I found on
Henry Cook/Judith Birdsall, was from a Winch-Fitzmeyer
Gen. Database Chart...and they have his parents as Edmund Cook and Elizabeth Nichols,
Henry Cook/AnnaGoodere John Cook 1486. What do you think? I can't seem to do anymore
research on Henry if I am not sure who his parents are. We do have the Cook info at our
St. Lib. But like I said, they are on the other Cooke Line, Frances of the Mayflower.
Others wrote me and said we do not connect with them, but they have no proof one way
or the other. Any ideas?"
1025. Judith Birdsall was born on 2 Jun 1611 in Norwich, England.. She died on 11 Sep 1689 in Salem, Mass..
Some records show the name as Birdsall, Birdsale or Birsale.
1026. John Hall was born about 1605 in England. He died on 3 Mar 1676/1677 in Wallingford, Conn. . He married Jane Woolen in 1641.
1027. Jane Woolen was born estimated 1634. She died about 1690.
1032. John Benham was born about 1603 in Dorchester, England. He died about 1661 in New Haven, CT. He married MARGERY ALCOCK.
Sources: EARLY FAMILIES OF WALLINGFORD, CT. CLAYTON LIBRARY, HOUSTON, TX.
A Genealogical Dictionary of the 1st Settlers of New England showing Three Generations
of those who came before May 1692 on the Basis of Farmer's Register by James Savage,
Vol 1, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore, 1981, p. 165 _1630 Lived in Dorchester, MASS
_1630 came in "Mary & John" from England _1640 Original settler New Haven, CT _May 18, 1631,
1033. MARGERY ALCOCK .
1034. George Smith was born estimated 1620. He died on 17 May 1662 in New Haven, CT . He married Sarah Smith in 1641 in New Haven, CT. .
OCCUPATION: Farmer / Carpenter.
1035. Sarah Smith was born in 1622 in England.. She died after 1668.
1040. John Curtis was born about 1615 in England. He died about 1707. He married Eliza Wells.
1041. Eliza Wells was born about 1616 in England. She died about 1682.
1042. Capt. Nathan or Nathaniel Merriman was born about 1613 in England. He died on 13 Feb 1693/1694 in Wallingford, Conn. . He married Joan Lines.
1043. Joan Lines was born about 1628. She died about 1670.
1048. Joseph Benham was born estimated 1630 in Plymouth, Devon Co., England. He died about 1703 in Wallingford, New Haven, CT.. He married Winifred King.
1049. Winifred King was born estimated 1635.
1050. Capt. Nathan or Nathaniel Merriman is printed as #1042 on page 37.
1051. Joan Lines is printed as #1043 on page 37.
1056. William Coleman was born about 1619 in Langley, England. He died about 1680.
1058. Moses Mapes .Moses married Sarah Purrier.
1059. Sarah Purrier .
1072. Tjerek Claese Dewitt was born about 1620 in Van Grootholdt, Zunderland, Holland. He died on 17 Feb 1700 in Kingston, Ulster County, NY. He married Barbara Andriessen on 24 Apr 1656 in New Amsterdam.
The son of Nicholas DeWitt he came to America in 1648 and settled near Rondout Creek in
Ulster County New York, coming from Zunderland, Holland with his brother Andries. He had
brothers in law Jan Albertse in Beverwyck, and Pieter Janse in Oosterbemus, East Friesland,
Holland. from his father from which he was receiving rents. He owned land in Esopus where
he took up permanent residence in 1660. In 1663 he was ordered to be punished at Espus,
for opposing authority. He sold his House and lot in Albany in 1666.
Sources: "First Settlers of Albany" -by Peerson
1073. Barbara Andriessen was born on 6 Jul 1630 in Amsterdam, Holland. She died on 6 Jul 1714 in Kingston, Ulster County, NY.
1074. Egbert Meydersen .Egbert married Jaepsie (Jacoba) Jans.
1075. Jaepsie (Jacoba) Jans .
1076. William Nottingham was born about 1640 in England. He died on 1 Jun 1680 in Marbletown, Ulster County, New York. He married Ann Tye.
1077. Ann Tye was born about 1640. She died about 1714.
Ann Tye was married 3 times:
1st Captain Daniel Brodhead married 1661 West Riding of Yorkshire
2nd Lieutenant William Nottingham
3rd Judge Thomas Gaston
1078. Jacob Rutsen was born about 1650 in Albany, New York.. He died about 1730 in Rosedale, Ulster Cty. NY. He was buried in Rosedale, Ulster Cty. NY. He married Maria (Marritje) Hansen Bergen about 1675 in NY.
A descendant of Rutger Jacobson Van Schoendervoert who died in Albany 1665.
He was a Justice of the Peace before 1699 until he was appointed Judge of the
Common Pleas. Appointed ensign in the Company of Foot for Kingston & New
Paltz in 1685-1687 became a captain, major, Liet-colonel & colonel. Was appointed
to the assembly despite a great deal of controversy. His mother lived with him
until her death in 1711 at Rosendale, NY. Refer to article on him from the Olde Ulster.
1079. Maria (Marritje) Hansen Bergen "Marritje" was born on 8 Oct 1651 in Brooklyn, NY (New Amsterdam).
1080. Nicholas DePuy was born about 1630 in Paris, France. He died about Jul 1691 in NYC. He married Catharina Reynards de Vaux.
1081. Catharina Reynards de Vaux was born about 1632. She died about Jul 1705.
Emigrant in 1662 from Artois, France._Other Names : Catalina <Henri> De Vos Renard DePuy.
1082. Cornelias Evertsz Wynkoop or Wyncoop was born about 1627 in Amersfoot, Nykerk, Holland. He died about 1679 in Hurley, Ulster County, New York. He married Maria Jans Langedyck or Langendyck.
Cornelius is most likely the son of Peter although there is little in the way of proof.
He gave the same address as Peter on a contract signed in 1657 at Albany for
the purchase of a house. In 1663 Cornelius got as a grant of land (12 morgens) at
Hurley although he still resided in Albany in 1665. By 1671 he was in Hurley
and elected elder of the Dutch Church of Kingston. In 1672 he was appointed
Commissioner. He was schepen of Hurley in 1673.
Source: Anjou I pg 32 #450
1083. Maria Jans Langedyck or Langendyck was born about 1635 in Utrect, Netherlands. She died about 1679 in Esopus, Ulster Co. NY.
The deposition for her will is dated May 16, 1679 - see Anjou I, page 38.
Excerpt, "...sick in bed, very weak, and considering the certainty of death."
She gave her eldest son Johannes a piece of silver; to her eldest dau. a
ward-robe, a red skirt, a silver bell, 2 silver spoons, all the silver money,
a gold ring and a tick bed.
Source: Anjou I pg 32 #451
1084. Hendrick Jochemse Schoonmaker was born before 29 Sep 1624 in Hamburg, Germany. He died about 1682 in Kingston, Ulster County, New York. He married Elyse Jan van Breestede in 1653 in Albany, NY.
He came to America from Hamburg, Germany, in the military service of Dutch West
India Company. He was an innholder at Fort Orange. Legal proceedings on 19 Nov 1653
stated that he smuggled a half barrel of beer. It was resolved by him paying an excise tax.
Further records indicate he was found guilty twice of entertaining company in his inn on
Sunday. He was also noted a Lieutenant of the burgher guard in 1657. He first
appears in Esopus (Kingston) in March 1669 and prior to that he resided in Albany.
1085. Elyse Jan van Breestede was born about 1623 in Beerstede, Schleswig, Denmark. She died in 1730 in Kingston, Ulster County, NY.
She was widow of Adrian Peterson Van Alcmaer when she married Hendrick. She
enjoyed litigation & appears in many court records. Hendrick's military company
disbanded in 1659 so he disposed of his properties in Rensselaerwyck & Beverwyck
and settled in Esopus. In Sept. 1663, he was fined for being out in the fields without
permission following the massacre of Wiltwick. Four times between 1666-1671 he
served as schepen.
1086. Frederick Hussey died before 1 Sep 1689. He married Margaret Bos.
1087. Margaret Bos was born about 1647.
1088. Benjamin Burr was born estimated 1605 in England. He died on 31 Mar 1681 in Hartford, Conn.. He married Anna <?> Burr estimated 1625.
Benjamin was the founder of the Hartford branch of the family and first appeared as one
of the original settlers of Hartford, in 1635. His name in the land division of Hartford, in
1639, as an original proprietor and settler is the first evidence we have of his presence in
America; but, as we are told that the first settlers of Hartford were collected from Watertown,
Newton, and other places near Boston, it is certain that he was in Massachusetts some
time before his appearance in Hartford, and he may have been one of the eight hundred
who came to America with Winthrop's fleet in June, 1630. He seems to have been an
active, energetic, thorough business man, and mingled but little in public affairs; hence
but brief mention is made of him in the records of the colony. He was the first of his name
in Connecticutt, and was admitted a free man in 1658. His allotment in the land division
of Hartford in 1639 was six acres. He also drew eighteen acres in the land division of
East Hartford in 1666. His house-lot in Hartford, in 1640, was bounded northeast on
Stephan Hart, northwest of John Warner, southwest by the road to the cow-pasture,
and southeast on Samuel Hale's lot. That he was a soldier in the Pequot War
is proved by the following extract from a book by Hon. J. W. Stuart, called "Hartford in
the Olden Time," published in 1855, being an affidavit of Thomas Burr, son of Benjamin,
dated Hartford, 1721 : He may have had a brother Thomas. The Hartford records
give : "Mary Burr daughter of Thomas Burr, born Sept. 17, 1645."
Sources: Charles Burr Todd, Hartford Branch #1 (will be noted as CBT HB)
1089. Anna <?> Burr was born estimated 1607 in England. She died on 31 Aug 1683 in Hartford, Conn..
Sources: Charles Burr Todd
1090. John Bazey .
John was one of the first settlers and a prominent man in the Colony.
Sources: Charles Burr Todd.
1120. Joseph Baldwin was born in 1609/1612 in Cholesbury,BKM,ENG . He died on 2 Nov 1684 in Hadley,HampshireCo,MA . He married Hannah WHITLOCK on 10 Nov 1636 in High Wycomb, Bucks, ENG .
Joseph came to America from Buckinghamshire County, England before 1633.
1121. Hannah WHITLOCK .
Hannah was baptized with 1st four children 23 Jun 1644.
1184. Joseph Bixby was born on 28 Oct 1621 in Lit. Waldingfield, Suffolk, Eng.. He died in Apr 1701 in Boxford, Essex, Mass.. He married Sarah Riddlesdale or Hearde in 1647 in Ipswitch, Essex, Mass..
First noted in America 1637.
1185. Sarah Riddlesdale or Hearde was born on 16 Nov 1623 in Asington, Suffolk, Eng.. She died on 3 Jun 1703 in Boxford, Essex, Mass..
1186. John Gould was born on 10 Jun 1635 in Topsfield, Mass... He died on 26 Jan 1709. He married Sarah Baker on 12 Oct 1660.
1187. Sarah Baker was born on 9 Mar 1641.
1196. Richard Singletary was born about 1600 in England. He died on 25 Oct 1687 in Haverhill, Essex, Mass.. . He married Susannah Cooke in 1637 in Salisbury, Essex Co., MA.
Alternate spellings of the name are SINNGLETARYE, SINGLETAIRIE, SYNGLETARY.
1197. Susannah Cooke was born about 1615 in Bayton, Worcester, England. She died on 11 Apr 1682 in Haverhill, Essex Co., MA.
1198. Samuel Belknap was born about 1628 in North Weald, Essex, England. He died about 1701 in Haverhill, Essex, Mass.. . He married Sarah Jones about 1652 in Hingham, Plymouth, Mass..
1199. Sarah Jones was born about 1630. She died on 18 Apr 1689.
1200. Benjamin Twitchell was born in 1599 in England. He died in 1675/1676 in Medfield, Norfolk, Mass. He married Mary Riggs on 1 Sep 1652 in Roxbury, Mass..
1201. Mary Riggs was born in 1625 in Dorchester, Suffolk, Mass. She died on 30 Oct 1694 in Medfield, Norfolk, Mass.
1208. Capt. George Fairbanks was born estimated 1625. He died on 10 Jan 1682/1683. He married Mary Adams on 26 Sep 1646 in Dedham, Mass..
Immigrated in 1633 to Boston, Mass.
1209. Mary Adams was born on 26 Aug 1626 in Somersetshire, England. She died on 11 Aug 1711 in Worcester, Mass..
1216. Reginald Foster was born about 1595 in Brunton, (Sexton) England.
Reginald came over from England in 1638 and settled in Ipswich, Mass.
1218. Caleb Burbank .Caleb married Martha ??? Burbank.
of Rowley, Mass.
1219. Martha ??? Burbank .
1262. Thomas Faxon was born about 1601 in England. He died on 16 Oct 1694.
1280. Stephen Gates was born about 1603 in Norwich, Norfolk, England. He died about Sep 1662 in Cambridge, Suffolk, Mass.. He married Ann Veare on 5 May 1628 in Hingham, England.
"Stephen Gates of Hingham, Lancaster and Cambridge, Mass. and Some of His Descendants",
pp 161-170, et seq (also by Clarence Almon Torrey) states, citing his earlier TAG article: "Stephen
Gates and Ann Veare were married in Hingham, England 5 May 1628. She deposed in Middlesex
County, Mass., Court, 12 June 1673, aged about 70 years, from which it appears that she was born
in or about 1603. It is believed that Stephen Gates was born in or near Hingham, England, about 1600."
_ Stephen-1 GATES' "will, [was] made upon his sick-bed June 9 and probated October 7, 1662"
[HOBART-1912, page 42; HING-HIST-1893, page 264; GATES-1898, etc.]. The inventory of his
estate was taken "at Cambridge" 29 September 1662 [NEHGR July 1966, page 162; LAN-VR,
page 19 (where the year is misprinted as 1622)]. From this, we know that his death occurred
between 09 June 1662 and 29 September 1662. At that time, the inventory of an estate was
normally taken very shortly after the death; it is likely, therefore, that his death was not long before
22 September 1662. After Stephen's death, Ann "married secondly (contract 18 April 1663), as
his second wife, Richard-1 Woodward of Watertown, Mass., who died 16 Feb. 1664/5. In her will,
dated 18 April 1682, she described herself as of Pompasitacutt (Ponpositicut, now Stow, Mass.).
The will was proved 9 April 1683. In it she calls herself 'Ann Gates.' A footnote states that 'my last
Husbands name was Woodward but I generally went by ye name of Gates notwithstanding.'
There are conflicting statements about the date of her death. According to Stow records Anne
Woodward died 19 Feb. 1682 [i.e. 1682/3]. Marlborough, Mass. records state that Wid. Hannah
Gates died 5 Feb. 1682 [i.e. 1682/3]." [NEHGR July 1966, page 163] NOTE: Most accounts give
her death as occurring at Stow on 05 February 1682/3. Ann's second husband lived only a few
years after their marriage; Richard WOODWARD died on 16 February 1665 [GATES-1898, page
10, citing the Chute Genealogy]. As early as HING-HIST-1893 (page 264), it was known that
Stephen and Ann had at least seven children; as NEHGR July 1966 (pp 163-164) has more
specifics, I will quote from that article: i. Elizabeth-2, born prob. at county Norfolk, England ca 1630;
died at Hingham, MA on 03 August 1704. Elizabeth married John Lassell/Lazell. Stephen-2 married
Sarah WOODWARD of Watertown, MA. iii. Mary, bp. at Hingham, England on 15 October 1636;
died before 1679. Mary married John MAYNARD at Sudbury, MA on 05 April 1658. iv. Simon, bp.
at Hingham, MA on 03 May 1646; died at Muddy River [now Brookline (and part of Boston)] on
26 August 1692. Simon married Margaret BARSTOW. v. Thomas, bp. at Hingham on 03 May
1646; died at Preston, CT on 10 August 1726. Thomas married Elizabeth FREEMAN at Sudbury,
MA on 23 June 1648 vi. Isaac, bp. at Hingham on 03 May 1646; died 03 September 1651. vii.
Rebecca, bp. at Hingham on 03 May 1646; died in January 1650.
Several different people, including my Gates ancesters, have told me that the parentage of
Stephan Gates include Thomas of Norwich, Norfolk County, England, whose history dates back
13 generations into the 1300s. No proof, however has ever been offered so I assume that it doesn't
exist. Please address any comments on this to me email@example.com.
Apparently Stephan came from Hingham, England by way of the ship Diligent of Ipswitch, England
around 1638, and settled at Hingham Mass. about 1656.
Other sources: parish register of Hingham, England ; Clarence Almon Torry "Stephan Gates of
Hingham, Langcaster ; the Cambridge, Mass." Historical and Genealogical Register.
1281. Ann Veare was born about 1603 in Norfolk, Norwich, co. England. She died on 5 Feb 1682/1683 in Stow, Middlesex County, Mass.
She deposed in Middlesex County, Mass., Court, 12 June 1673, aged about 70 years, from
which it appears that she was born in or about 1603._ Stephen Gates married Ann Veare (or Vere)
in Hingham, Co. Norfolk, on_5 May 1628. On the transcript of the Hingham parish records I have,
which_were copied from microfilm at the LDS Family History Library in Salt Lake_City, someone had
written the name "Vere" on top of "Veare." If Ann's_surname was actually Vere, which I believe it is,
then her father would have_been Sir. Horatio Vere and her mother was Mary Tracy. This Horatio Vere
came_from a long distinguished line and he was knighted by The Earl of Essex on_Cadiz at the same
time Sir Thomas Gates was knighted in 1596. Sir Thomas_entered Gray's Inn in 1598. Several other
Gates has been to one or another of_the Inns of Court for legal training. Sir Horatio Vere and Sir
Thomas Gates_obviously knew each other. it seems entirely possible that their children_would marry
each other. I am still trying to read the original Latin old_secretary's script in the Hingham parish
records to try to verify the name as_Veare or Vere. However, it was not uncommon to misspell names
and it could_have certainly been Vere and actually written as Veare. Elsewhere in old_English
records I have found what appears to be the name Gates written or_transcribed as Gate, Yeate,
Dr. Torrey repuditates earlier statements that Stephen's wife was_Ann Hill. He says he can't find
any trace of a "Veare" family in Norfolk._(This supports my speculation that Ann's surname was Vere -
for which there is_a pedigree).
1282. George Woodward .George married Elizabeth Hammond on 7 Aug 1659.
1283. Elizabeth Hammond .
Another source (probably more reliable) says the mother of Sarah Woodward is _Mary Gibson.
1284. John Benjamin .
1286. Thomas Lumbard .
Lived at Barnstable, Mass.
1340. Deacon Samuel Bass was born on 20 Aug 1598 in Middlesex Parrish, London, England.. He died on 30 Dec 1694 in Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts.. He married Anne Bass.
1341. Anne Bass .
1342. John Alden was born about 1598 in Harwich, Essex, England.. He died on 22 Sep 1687 in Duxbury, Plymouth, Mass. He married Priscilla Mullins on 12 May 1622 in Plymouth, Mass.
Much of this genealogy, from John Alden and Priscilla Mullins down to Joseph B. Gates,
was taken from "The Genealogy of the Fourteen Families of the Mayflower, Part 2".
Published by Elisha Thayer at Hingham, Mass. - J. Farmer Printer. A copy of this was
in possession of Willis Tutle of Canandaigua, N. Y. 1900. He being a grandson of
Esther Gates Wykoff who was daughter and only daughter of Daniel and Milcah
Ludden Gates. Their children were: Elizabeth, Joseph, John, Sarah,
Jonathan, Ruth, Rebecca, Priscilla, Mary and David.
John and Priscilla had 12 children in all. Not all of the names are known.
A couple of them died as infants.
Sources: LDS Ancestral File.
General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA._ Alden Kindred.
1343. Priscilla Mullins was born about 1602 in Dorking, Surrey, England. She died about 1685 in Duxbury, Plymouth County, Massachusetts..
resources: LDS Ancestral File.
General Society of Mayflower Descendants, Plymouth, MA.
1600. Roelof Martense Schenck was born on 20 Jun 1619/1620 in Doesberg, Province Of Holland . He died in 1705 in Flatlands, Long Island, NY. He married Grietje Hendrickson Van Ness.
1601. Grietje Hendrickson Van Ness was born in New Amsterdam. She died in 1686.
1674. John Hewes was born estimated 1575. He died about 1621. He married Mary Foote in 1602 in England.
Mary's parents were Robert Foote of Shalford, England (will 1608-9) who was a yoeman,
and Joan Brooke. John Foote (Roberts brother), a citizen and grocer of London
(will dated 1616) was born in Royston. He married Joan Brooks sister Margaret
Brooke in 1581. Her will is dated 1634. John and Robert Foote's father was Robert
Foote of Royston - nothing else is known. The Brooke sister's parents were John
Brooke of London, and Elizabeth unknown. John worked at the Thersellers Company.
It is safe to assume that they were born in the early 1500s or late 1400s.
1675. Mary Foote .
1792. Thomas Gulvin was born about 1630 in England. He was christened in Papermaker. He died about 1690. He married Anne Lacket on 28 Feb 1655 in Cranbrook, Kent, England.
Thomas' family was greatly effected by the black plague which struck England about 1655.
1793. Anne Lacket was born about 1631 in England. She died before 15 Feb 1686/1687 in Marden, Kent, England. She was buried on 15 Feb 1687 in Marden, Kent, England.
2050. Henry Birdsall was born about 1578 in Birdsall Malten, Yorkshire,Eng.. He died on 17 Sep 1651 in Salem, Mass,. He married Judith or Agness Kempe estimated 1609 in England.
This according to Elizabeth Harris A netizen: "Henry, son of Henry who made a will
in 1625 in England and died in 1631, leaving things to children William,Thomas,and
Mary, with no mention of Henry. However, since the oldest son, named for his father,
recieved his share when leaving for the new world in about 1628. "The Birdsall
family home is thought to be near Malton, East Riding, Yorkshire. The first
American records of Henry are from 1632 after arriving in Boston with son Nathan
and dau. Judith. He was a member of the First Church of Salem. In 1643 He
removed to New Haven. His will is recorded in probate records in
Essex Cty. Vol. 1, p. 123.
2051. Judith or Agness Kempe was born about 1589. She died about 1630.
This according to Elizabeth Harris A netizen:
"Henry, son of Henry who mde a will in 1625 in England and died in 1631, leaving
things to children William,Thomas,and Mary, with no mention of Henry. However,
since the oldest son, named for his father, recieved his share when leaving for
the new world in about 1628. "The Birdsall family home is thought to be near Malton,
East Riding, Yorkshire. The first American records of Henry are from 1632 after
arriving in Boston with son Nathan and dau. Judith. He was a member of the First
Church of Salem. In 1643 He removed to New Haven.
His will is recorded in probate records in Essex Cty. Vol. 1, p. 123.
2066. THOMAS ALCOCK .
2084. George Merriman was born in 1559 in Witney, Oxfordshire, England. He died in 1656 in London, Middlesex, England.
2096. John Benham is printed as #1032 on page 36.
2097. MARGERY ALCOCK is printed as #1033 on page 36.
2144. Nicholas Claes Dewitt was born on 31 Oct 1588 in Holland. He died in 1622. He married Taatje Van Leuven.
2145. Taatje Van Leuven .
2146. Andries Luycaszen was born in 1595 in Frederickstad, Denmark. He died in Jan 1680 in Amsterdam, Holland. He married Jannetje Sebyns.
2147. Jannetje Sebyns .
2154. Francis Thomas Tye .Francis married Tellos Solomon.
2155. Tellos Solomon was born in East Riding, Yorkshire, England.
2156. Rutger Jacobson Rutsen .Rutger married Tryntje Jans Breestede.
2157. Tryntje Jans Breestede .
2158. Hans Hansen Bergen was born in 1610/1615 in Bergen, Hordaland, Norway. He died on 30 May 1654 in (Brooklyn, NY) New Amsterdam, New Netherlands. He married Sarah Jorise RAPALJE about 1639.
common ancestor of the Bergen family of Long Island, New Jersey and their vicinity. _a ship carpenter.
_went from Norway to Holland, and then in 1633, to New Amsterdam.
2159. Sarah Jorise RAPALJE was born on 9 Jun 1625 in Fort Orange (Albany), New Netherlands, NY. She died in 1685.
Probably the first child born in New Amsterdam of European parentage.
2164. Peter Wynkoop or Wyncoop was born in 1616 in Holland. He married Martie Wynkoop.
Peters relationship to Cornelias, I now feel, after researching a little more, is likely something
other than a parent. _
Imagrated from Holland and settled in Beverwyck in 1657 where he purchased a lot
and house. He moved to Esopus in 1665. He is from the Wynkoop family of Gelderland
From the researcher Carl Krogh:
The first Wynkoop (the name means wine merchant) on the records of ew Amsterdam
colony is Peter, b 1616 in Holland according to a deposition he made in 1640 stating he
was 24 yrs old. In 1639 he is first mentioned in Rensselaerwyck, cited for smuggling.
In 1641 he was working for the patroon, Van Rensselear, as Commissary Superintendent
of wares and Merchandise. In 1644 he went into the Catskills to purchase lands from the
Indians for the patroon and to recover lands usurped by a certain Adrian VanderDonck.
That same year he went down river on a vessel "The Arms of Rensselearwyck" to
New Amsterdam. Governor Kieft demanded that the shoes in the cargo be turned over
to him for his soldiers. Wynkoop refused and Kieft siezed the vessel and appropriated
the shoes and powder and guns. The case was referred to the directors in Holland.
There were other court proceedings in 1644 and 1646 involving Peter.
In some places it is Wyncoop and others it is Wynkoop. I am not sure which is correct.
Notice : Peter is shown here as parent of Cornelias. This relationship is in dispute and is_most likely
not correct. Peter is more likely related in some other way.
2165. Martie Wynkoop .
2166. Jan Jansen Langendyck was born estimated 1600 in Utrecht, Neth. He died in 1697 in New Amsterdam, NY . He married Geertie Jansen Wessels estimated 1630.
Arrived New Amsterdam ABT 1649.
2167. Geertie Jansen Wessels was born in 1603 in Amsterdam, Nord Holland, Netherlands . She died after 15 Oct 1668.
Religeon : Dutch Reformed.
2168. Jochim Schomaker or Schoonmaker was born in Germany.
2170. Jan Janson Breestede .Jan married Engeltje Janse.
2171. Engeltje Janse .
2176. Mr. Burr was born estimated 1575.
Mr. Burr was born in England. This is an imaginary person which I have
temporarily created to link Jehu with brothers Benjamin and Thomas. A link
that I am sure exists, but have not yet discovered proof.
resources : A General History of the Burr Family in America -by Charles Burr
Todd*, Fourth Edition, New York, Knickerbocker Press, 1902
Records at Hartford and Norfolk Connecticutt._ Records of the First
Church of Hartford
Grave Stones in Orleans County Cemeteries_ Chronicle of the Aaron Burr
Association and the ABA library_* I can't say enough about the writings of Charles Burr Todd. The
above can be obtained from Higginson Book Co., http://www.higginsonbooks.com/
2240. Richard Baldwin was born on 3 Jun 1576 in Cholesbury,BKM,ENG . He died on 16 May 1633 in Cholesbury,BKM,ENG . He married Isabel HARDING on 31 May 1598 in Amersham, Bucks, ENG .
Resided at Milford, CT 1639; Hadley, MA 1663
Source of Information: Baldwin Genealogy by Charles Candee Baldwin,
Cleveland, OH 1881, Page 479. Baldwin Genealogy Supplement by Charles
Candee Baldwin, Cleveland, OH 1889, page 990-991.
LDS Ancestral File
2241. Isabel HARDING was born in 1582 in Cholesbury,BKM,ENG . She died after 1633 in Cholesbury,BKM,ENG .
2368. George Bixby was born on 17 Dec 1594 in Rattlesden, Suffolk, Eng.. He died on 4 Apr 1627 in Lit. Waldingfield, Suffolk, Eng.. He married ??? Cole on 16 Oct 1617 in Lit. Waldingfield, Suffolk, Eng..
2369. ??? Cole .
2370. Edward Riddlesdale .Edward married Mary Hearde?.
2371. Mary Hearde? .
2372. Zaccheus Gould was born about 1589 in England. He died about 1668. He married Phebe Deacon?.
his wife Phebe (Deacon?) died 20 sep 1663.
2373. Phebe Deacon? died on 20 Sep 1663.
2374. John Baker .John married Elizabeth Baker.
2375. Elizabeth Baker .
2392. Francis Singletary was born about 1565 in Surfleet, Lincolnshire, Eng... He died about 1617 in Surfleet, Lincolnshire, England. He married Agnes Singletary.
Francis married Agnes /Unknown/.
2393. Agnes Singletary was born about 1563 in Surfleet, Lincolnshire, England. She died after 1617 in Surfleet, Lincolnshire, England.
2396. Abraham Belknap was born on 10 Mar 1589 in North Weald, Essex, England. He died about Sep 1643 in Salem, Mass. . He married Mary Stallion on 28 Oct 1617 in Latton, Essex, England.
Abraham was a Farmer. His mother was Grace ADAM who was born about 1561 in
Sawbridgeworth, Hertfrdshr, Eng... She died about 1630 in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfrdshr, Eng...
Grace married Bennet Beltoft or BELKNAP son of Richard Belknap BELTOFT and Elizabeth
UNKNOWN on 18 Feb 1519 in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfrdshr, Eng.. Bennet was born before
1558 in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfrdshr, Eng... He died about 1624 in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfrdshr, Eng...
Grace's father was Heirom (Jerome) ADAM and was born about 1535 in Sawbridgeworth,
Hertfrdshr, Eng... He died in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfrdshr, Eng...
Heirom married Elizabeth UNKNOWN . Elizabeth was born in Sawbridgeworth,
Hertfrdshr, Eng... She died in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfrdshr, Eng...
Heirom's father was John ADAM who was born about 1510 in Harlow, Essex, England.
He died about May 1578 in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfrdshr, Eng... .
2397. Mary Stallion was born on 24 Dec 1595 in Latton, Essex, England.. She died in Lynn, Mass.
2398. Robert Jones Jr. was born about 1596 in Caversham, Oxfordshire, Eng... He died on 17 Nov 1691 in Hingham, Plymouth, Mass.. He married Margaret Garnford on 30 Apr 1621 in Caversham, Oxfordshire, England .
2399. Margaret Garnford was born estimated 1597 in England. She died about 1630 in Caversham, Oxfordshire, Eng...
2400. Richard Twitchell was born on 6 Apr 1540 in Chesham, Buckinghamshire, England. He died on 13 Jul 1627. He married Cicely Waller.
2401. Cicely Waller was born in 1560 in Chesham, Buckinghamshire, England. She died on 22 Jul 1627.
2402. Edward Riggs was born in 1590 in Lincolnshire, Yorkshire, England . He died on 5 Jan 1671 in Roxbury, Norfolk, Mass. He married Elizabeth Wheeler.
2403. Elizabeth Wheeler was born in 1595 in Nanzing Parish, Essex, England . She died on 2 Jul 1669 in Roxbury, Norfolk, Mass.
2416. Jonathan or Juthen Fairbanks was born about 1590 in Sowerby, West Riding, York, England. He died on 5 Dec 1668 in Dedham, Mass.. He married Grace Lee in 1615 in England.
The Fairbanks house is still standing in Dedham, Mass. even though Indians burned the
house next door.
His name is sometimes spelled Fayerbanke.
Some documents say he was born in Halifax. I am not sure yet which is correct.
Jonathan died by drowning in Sherborn or Dedham, Mass.
He immagrated to Boston, America in 1633.
Admitted a freeman in 1642.
2417. Grace Lee was born in England. She died on 28 Oct 1673.
2418. Henry Adams was born on 21 Jan 1583 in Somersetshire, England.
2432. Thomas Foster was born in 1570 in Yorkshire, England. He died in 1648.
I have no proof of this relationship. Help would be appreciated.
2560. Thomas Gates .
"Thomas Gates, son of Peter Gates, was of Norwich, Norfolk county, Egland.
He was the father of Stephen Gates (emigrant). Stephen Gates, second son of Thomas Gates, came
from Hingham, England, to Hingham, Mass., in the ship Diligent of Ipswich, England, in the year 1638.
He settled at Hingham, Mass--about 1656 removed to Langcaster, Mass. and subsequently to
Cambridge, Mass. where he died in 1662, In his will dated 9 Jun 1662, Proved 7 Oct. 1662, he
bequeathed to Stephan his eldest son, the house and lot at Lancaster, Mass. His Wife and son Simon
plase at Cambridge and his son Thomas was to remain with them at his pleasure. He married in
England Ann Hill . (see Chute Genea1ogy) --and they brought two
shildren with them when they came over, they had controversy with Whitcomb family, removed to
Cambridge. His widow, Ann married (2) Richard Woodward of Watertown Mass. in 1663. She died at
Stow 5 Feb 1682/3. Their children were Elizabeth who married John Laselle; Mary married John
Maynard of Sudbury; Stephan b. 1640 d. 1706 at Acton, Mass. who married Sarah Woodward dau. of
George and Elizabeth of Watertown; additional children were Thomas, Simon, Isaac and Rebecca."
--The above is from my grandmother's (Esther Gates Cook) records.
2566. Thomas Hammond .Thomas married Elizabeth <?> Hammond.
Settled in Hingham, Mass. 1636.
Sources: Bond’s Watertown pg 779
2567. Elizabeth <?> Hammond .
2680. Humphry Bass was born in 1564 in Middlesex Parrish, London, England. He died on 4 Jun 1616 in Middlesex Parrish, London, England. He married MARY BUSCHIER in 1589 in England.
He was a haberdasher and merchant of London.
2681. MARY BUSCHIER was born in 1570 in Roanne, Loire, France. She died on 22 Jul 1616 in Middlesex Parrish, London, England. She was buried on 22 Jul 1616 in Saint Helen's Church, Bishopsgate, London, England.
2686. William Mullins was born estimated 1575 in Dorking, Surrey, England. He died about 1621 in England. He married Alice Atwood.
William's will was certified 2 APR 1621 and was proved in Lon. 1621. Mullins is
said in probate record to have been "lat in co. Surrey." He beq. to wife Alice, son
William and Pricilla and "eldest dau. ," who, as "Sara Blunden was appointed to
admin. the estate [Waters' Gleanings, p25 Mullins, dau. of William Mullins." was
bapt. at Dorking church 31 Oct. 1619; no other entry of this family was found therein.
2687. Alice Atwood .
3200. Martin Petierse Schenck was born on 7 Aug 1584 in Doesberg, Province Of Holland.
AKA: Martin Petierse Schenck Van Nydeck/Von Nydeggen Viii
3350. Robert Foote was born in Shalford, England . He married Joan Brooke.
(will 1608-9) He was a yoeman.
3351. Joan Brooke .
Her will is dated 1634.
3584. Mr. Gulvin was born estimated 1600 in England.
Mr. Gulvin is included as the patriarch of the Gulvin family so that Thomas and Robert have
a parent. Thomas and Robert are the oldest known Gulvins at this time.
Most of this history is thanks to the effort of my second cousin Jack Gulvin who has spent
several summers touring the English country side, mostly by bycicle.
GULVIN News - September 1997_by Jack Gulvin
This newsletter summarizes some of the more interesting GULVIN discoveries of the
past year, including those made during another nine weeks in England. I have now
met 28 British GULVINS, or about one-sixth of them. They were eager to learn more
about the name and its bearers, and to provide additional information, making my
task very pleasant indeed. Their hospitality and the beauty of the Kent countryside
have me looking forward to a third summer of searches next year.
GULVINS 435 YEARS AGO Registers for several parishes in southern Kent, East
Sussex, and Croyden (in Surrey, south of London) list numerous GULVIN baptisms,
marriages, and burials prior to 1600. The earliest baptism is a puzzling entry from
the Kent parish of Brenchley, dated 27 December 1562: William son of Robert
GOLVIN illeg. nat. The earliest marriage is in Mayfield parish in East Sussex, dated
16 February 1579: Alexander GULVIN to Mary Maynard. The earliest burial was in
Marden, in Kent, dated 22 June 1572: Michaei GULBYN, son of Robert. In those days,
the letters "b" and "v" appear identical. The various entries are too incomplete and
scattered to assemble into a coherent tree. Evidence supports stories passed down
in at least two GULVIN families that the name was brought to England by French
immigrants, possibly Huguenot. However, these very early GULVIN records show
that GULVINs lived in England prior to the arrival of most Huguenots, so the origin of
the name remains uncertain.
DRUNKEN CODFISH According to a webpage of words used in Newfoundland,
and nowhere else, a gulvin is the stomach of a codfish. Gulvinec (or Guilvinec) is a
tiny village on the Brittany coast of northwest France, south of Quimper. Gul is Latin
for guflet (as in Gulo gulo, the glutton or wolverine), and vin is French for wine. Put
the two syllables together and you have GULVIN, a wine glutton, such as the one
described in this account from the 25 September 1875 edition of a Kent newspaper,
the Tonbridge Free Press: LEIGH. Death by Burning. On Tuesday, about midnight a
fire, from which a fatal accident resulted, occurred in some hopper's huts at Hensfield
Farm, in the occupation of Mr. James Usherwood, who has been tenant of the farm
for about half a century. It seems that a man named George Gulvin, 30 years of age,
a hopper from London, went to the hut the worse for drink, and probably put a lighted
pipe in his pocket, for soon after he had lain down to sleep, a man in the next
compartment of the hut smelt something burning, and looking through the partition
saw deceaced's trousers on fire, and deceaced seemed at that moment just to have
been aroused by the burning. The fire almost immediately communicated with the
straw beds and hut, and an alarm being given, all the occupants, ten or twelve in number,
rushed from it, some of them quite naked. Deceased, it was found, was very seriously
injured, and was at once brought in to Tonbridge, by Supt. Dance, who, with P. C.
Nightingale, was soon on the spot. Mr. Bishop, surgeon, did the best he could for the
poor fellow, and sent him on to the union, where he died on Wednesday night. As no
one but deceased himself could have given any account of the origin of the fire, an
inquest was not considered advisable.
GEORGE GULVIN, YEOMAN At least 36 GULVINs have been named George,
making it the most popular name, although no more than one still lives. The George
Gulvin born in 1733 in East Mallng, Kent, was unusual in going from rags to riches.
He is named on a 1735 Settlement Certificate, along with his sister and parents, that
allowed the family to remain in East Malling despite the likelihood of their need for
parish relief payments. However, about 30 years later George, with his wife and children,
was the owner or occupier of a farm consisting of 57 acres of upland and 66 acres
of marsh land, all in the parish of High Halstow on the Themes estuary. His will
written in 1778, gave George the title of Yeoman, meaning a small farmer who
cultivates his own land and belongs to a class of English freeholders below the
gentry. The will named as executor George's "good friend John Nicholson of Chatham,
Shipwright". Shipwrights in those days were wealthy and prominent. When George
died in 1796, his estate was worth over 1,000 pounds, sufficient to trigger a lawsuit
in Chancery Court between his executors and heirs (two daughters). Some families
have stories of "money in Chancery", just waiting to be claimed. Such a story for
GULVINs could be true, although trying to read and comprehend all the old
court documents could take years, and lawyers probably got most of George's
wealth. Much of this wealth must have been acquired in the 1750s. How George
did this is not clear. Some suggest he married money, but others say that the rigid
social stratification of the time would not allow it. A well known major activity of the
time was smugghng, and George's farm would have been ideal for such an
enterprise. Of course, hard work, thrift, and wise investing are possibilities as well.
MARTIN GULVIN, FIRST WISCONSIN CAVALRY Martin was born in New York City
about 1840. His family moved to Wisconsin in the 1850s and at the time of the
1860 census was living on a farm in Juneau, Oak Grove Township, Dodge County.
Martin was a farm laborer. On 15 August 1862, at Beaver Dam Wisconsin, he enlisted
with Company C, First Regiment, Wisconsin Cavalry. Two weeks later his unit was
over 400 miles south, at Cape Girardeau, Missouri. For nine months they engaged
in raids along the Mississippi River, but in late May 1863 the regiment was
transferred southeast to join the Union's Army of the Cumberland in central Tennessee.
During the summer the army moved southeast towards Chattanooga and in
September engaged in the Battle of Chickamauga, one of the bloodiest battles
of the Civil War. Martin survived, only to be hospitalized for four months due to
gastritis and contusions suffered in a fall from his horse. He returned to duty in
time for the May 1864 start of the Atlanta campaign, a series of battles leading to
the surrender of Atlanta in October. The cavalry was active in guarding supply
wagons from the North and raiding troops and supplies of the South. Martin may
have been involved with the Battles of Franklin and Nashville in late 1864 as well
as the pursuit of retreating rebels into Alabama. In May 1865 Martins regiment
was stationed at Macon, Georgia, from where they pursued Jefferson Davis, the
President of the Confederacy, into southern Georgia and made the capture. On
19 July 1865 Martin was mustered out in Tennessee, having seen nearly three
years of very active duty. Connecting Martin's branch of GULVINs with all the rest
will be a challenge. The 1860 census shows his father, Francis, was born in Portugal
in 1817. The father of Francis may have been a GULVIN from England who was
engaged in trade, shipping, or a soldier who stayed behind at the end of the
HELP! Many GULVIN puzzles remain to be solved. Does anyone know Nancy
Laura Gulvin? She was bom in 1983 in the Camden Registration District of
England to a mother named Gulvin. Or how about Valerie J. Gulvin? She married
Jaines E. Martin about March 1990 in the South Glamorgan Registration District of
Wales. If you have the answers, or even a clue, please phone me (Jack Gulvin)
at 716 326 3223 or write to me at: 6931 Allen Road, Westfield, New York 14787 USA.
4100. Henry Birdsall was born about 1550 in Doncaster, Yorkshire, England. He died about 1631 in Doncaster, Yorkshire, England. He married Alice DeDoncaster estimated 1570 in England.
4101. Alice DeDoncaster was born about 1552 in Doncaster, Yorkshire, England.
4168. Gregory Merriman was born about 1530 in Oxford, Oxfordshire, England. He died in 1595. He married Mary RING.
4169. Mary RING was born about 1534 in Witney, Oxfordshire, England.
4288. Jan Dewitt was born on 9 Dec 1554 in Holland. He married Taatje DeWitt.
It is my belief that this tree goes back to Jan Die Wittie born 1205 in Holland. I would be
interested in hearing from anyone having info on this line.
4289. Taatje DeWitt .
4292. Luykes Lveasen was born in 1569 in Frederickstad, Denmark.
4316. Hans Nilsen Bergen was born about 1582 in Osthammar's Brul, Norway . He married Marta Jonasdotter.
4317. Marta Jonasdotter was born about 1580.
4318. Joris Jansen Rapalje was born about 1604 in Valenciennes, France. He was christened on 28 Apr 1604. He married Catalyntje Jeronimus Trico on 20 Jan 1624 in New Amsterdam, New Netherlands.
Joris Jansen Rapalje Joris Jansen De Rapalje ( Rapareillet, Rapalye, Rapalie,
De Rapalie, Rapelle): Valenciennes, French Flanders; New Netherland (1623);
Fort Orange, Albany NY; New Amsterdam; Wallabout, Brooklyn NY (1637); d. 1662
Wallabout, Brooklyn NY. See Peter Steven Gannon and Jane Hawkes Liddell, "The
Assimilation of Huguenots in Western Long Island," Huguenot Refugees in the
Settling of Colonial America, ed. Peter Gannon (New York: Huguenot Society
of America, 1985).
4319. Catalyntje Jeronimus Trico was born in 1605 in Pry, Belgium. She died in 1689.
place of birth may have been Priches, Hainault, Belgium.
4480. Richard Baldwin was born in 1540 in Cholesbury,BKM,ENG . He died on 18 Feb 1632 in Cholesbury,BKM,ENG . He married Isabel CHASE.
4481. Isabel CHASE was born in 1545 in Cholesbury,BKM,ENG .
4482. Richard HARDING .
4736. Richard Bixby was born on 29 May 1562 in Thorpe Morieux, Suffolk, Eng.. He married Isabel Nunn on 7 Jul 1589 in Thorpe Morieux, Suffolk, Eng..
4737. Isabel Nunn was born before 25 Jan 1567/1568. She was christened on 25 Jan 1567/1568 in Rattlesden, Suffolk, Eng..
4738. Thomas Cole .Thomas married Mabel Wilchine.
4739. Mabel Wilchine .
4792. Bennet Beltoft or Belknap was born before 1558 in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfrdshr, Eng... He died about 1624 in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfrdshr, Eng... He married Grace Adam on 18 Feb 1519 in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfrdshr, Eng..
4793. Grace Adam was born about 1561 in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfrdshr, Eng... She died about 1630 in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfrdshr, Eng...
4794. Thomas Stallion III was born on 21 Aug 1567 in Latton, Essex, England.. He died on 18 Jun 1619 in Latton, Essex, England.. He married Mary Dalton on 14 Apr 1592 in Great Pardon, Essex, England.
4795. Mary Dalton was born about 1573 in Latton, Essex, England.. She died on 14 Aug 1610 in Latton, Essex, England..
4796. Robert Jones was born after 1565 in Caversham, Oxfordshire, Eng...
4800. George Twitchell was born in 1510 in Chesham, Buckinghamshire, England. He married Mrs. George Twitchell in Chesham, Buckinghamshire, England.
4801. Mrs. George Twitchell was born in 1518.
4802. Robert Waller was born in 1537 in Chesham, Buckinghamshire, England. He married Ann Hampden.
4803. Ann Hampden was born in 1537.
4864. Cuthbert Forster was born in 1544 in Brunton Hall, England. He died in 1589. He married Elizabeth Bradford.
4865. Elizabeth Bradford .
5360. William Bass was born in England.
5362. DOMINICK BUSCHIER .DOMINICK married GENEVIEVE CLERKE.
5363. GENEVIEVE CLERKE .
6700. Robert Foote was born in Royston, England .
6702. John Brooke was born in London. He married Elizabeth <unkn> Brooke.
John worked at the Thersellers Company. It is safe to assume that they were born
in the early 1500s or late 1400s.
6703. Elizabeth <unkn> Brooke .
8200. Robert Birdsall was born about 1520 in England. He died on 30 Apr 1594 in England. He married Isabel Marshall estimated 1545 in England.
8201. Isabel Marshall was born about 1522 in England.
8336. Thomas Merriman died in 1599 in Witney, Oxfordshire, England.
8338. William RINGE .
8960. Richard Baldwin .Richard married Ellen APUKE.
Source of Info: The Baldwin Genealogy Supplement by Charles Baldwin, 1884.
8961. Ellen APUKE .
9472. Thomas Bixby was born about 1500 in Thorpe Morieux, Suffolk, Eng.. He married Margaret Munnings on 28 Nov 1538 in Thorpe Morieux, Suffolk, Eng..
9473. Margaret Munnings was born about 1520.
9474. William Nunn .William married Joan ???.
9475. Joan ??? .
9584. Richard Belknap Beltoft was born about 1520 in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfrdshr, Eng... He died about 1599 in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfrdshr, Eng... He married Elizabeth <?> Beltoft.
Richard was a Husbandman. At some point the name became Belknap.
9585. Elizabeth <?> Beltoft was born about 1520 in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfrdshr, Eng... She died about 1589 in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfrdshr, Eng...
9586. Heirom (Jerome) Adam was born about 1535 in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfrdshr, Eng... He died in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfrdshr, Eng... He married Elizabeth <?> Adam.
9587. Elizabeth <?> Adam was born in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfrdshr, Eng... She died in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfrdshr, Eng...
9588. Thomas Stallion Jr. was born about 1541 in Harlow, Essex, England. He died about 1590 in Latton, Essex, England.. He married Joan Delow in 1564 in Harlow, Essex, England.
9589. Joan Delow was born about 1545.
9600. George Twitchell was born in 1485 in Chesham, Buckinghamshire, England.
9728. Thomas Forster was born in 1526. He died in 1589. He married Feorina Frances Wharton.
He was Sheriff of Northumberland.
9729. Feorina Frances Wharton .
16400. John Birdsall was born about 1490 in England. He died in England. He married Isabel Auckland estimated 1515 in England.
16401. Isabel Auckland was born about 1492 in Tadcaster, England. She died in England.
18944. John Bixby was born in Oct 1475 in Thorpe Morieux, Suffolk, Eng..
18946. Thomas Munnings .
19168. Laurence Belknap or Beltoft was born about 1490 in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfrdshr, Eng... He died on 2 Feb 1545 in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfrdshr, Eng... He married Elizabeth <?> Belknap on 18 Feb 1519 in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfrdshr, Eng...
19169. Elizabeth <?> Belknap was born estimated 1500 in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfrdshr, Eng... She died in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfrdshr, Eng...
19172. John Adam was born about 1510 in Harlow, Essex, England. He died about May 1578 in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfrdshr, Eng...
19176. Thomas Stallion was born about 1509 in Harlow, Essex, England. He died about Aug 1556 in Harlow, Essex, England. He married Elizabeth <?> Stallion in Harlow, Essex, England.
19177. Elizabeth <?> Stallion was born about 1520 in Harlow, Essex, England. She died about 1559 in Harlow, Essex, England.
19200. Henry Twitchell was born in 1460 in Chesham, Buckinghamshire, England. He married Mrs. Blackwell in 1484 in Chesham, Buckinghamshire, England.
See http://www.blackwellgenealogy.com/mem1.htm for the memiors of Lois Twitchell. This is a most
19201. Mrs. Blackwell .
19456. Sir Knight Thomas Forster was born in 1500. He married Dorothy Ogle.
19457. Dorothy Ogle .
37888. Thomas Bixby was born in 1445 in Thorpe Morieux, Suffolk, Eng.. He died on 23 Jan 1508/1509 in Tostock, Suffolk, Eng.. He married Margaret <?> Bixby.
37889. Margaret <?> Bixby .
38336. Richard Belknap or Beltoft was born estimated 1460 in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfrdshr, Eng... He died in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfrdshr, Eng... He married Christian <?> Beltoft in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfrdshr, Eng...
38337. Christian <?> Beltoft was born in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfrdshr, Eng... She died in Sawbridgeworth, Hertfrdshr, Eng...
38914. Baron Ralph Ogle .
75776. Nicholas Bixby was born about 1415 in Thorpe Morieux, Suffolk, Eng.. He died about 1450.
151552. Walter Bixby was born about 1390. He died on 21 Nov 1459 in Thorpe Morieux, Suffolk, Eng.. He married Margery <?> Bixby.
151553. Margery <?> Bixby .
303104. John Bixby was born about 1350.
I found the English Bixby's published on the internet. No proofs or references.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Ancestors of Burr Cook
18 Feb 2010
11. Henry Cook (b.Abt 1615;m.29 Jun 1639;d.25 Dec 1661)
10. Henry Cook II (b.30 Oct 1652;m.30 Sep 1677/1678;d.Abt 1705)
15. John Birdsall (b.Abt 1490;m.Est 1515)
14. Robert Birdsall (b.Abt 1520;m.Est 1545;d.30 Apr 1594)
15. Isabel Auckland (b.Abt 1492)
13. Henry Birdsall (b.Abt 1550;m.Est 1570;d.Abt 1631)
14. Isabel Marshall (b.Abt 1522)
12. Henry Birdsall (b.Abt 1578;m.Est 1609;d.17 Sep 1651)
13. Alice DeDoncaster (b.Abt 1552)
11. Judith Birdsall (b.2 Jun 1611;d.11 Sep 1689)
12. Judith or Agness Kempe (b.Abt 1589;d.Abt 1630)
9. Henry Cook III (b.Abt 1683;m.Abt 1719;d.Abt 1750)
11. John Hall (b.Abt 1605;m.1641;d.3 Mar 1676/1677)
10. Mary Hall (b.Abt 1654;d.31 Oct 1718)
11. Jane Woolen (b.Est 1634;d.Abt 1690)
8. Henry Cook IV (b.17 Aug 1723;m.27 Nov 1745;d.6 Sep 1771)
9. Sarah Turner Frost (b.EST. 1690)
7. Lemuel Cook (b.10 Sep 1759;m.26 Apr 1783;d.20 May 1866)
11. John Benham (b.Abt 1603;d.Abt 1661)
10. John Benham Jr (b.Abt 1623;m.3 Mar 1667/1668;d.Abt 1691)
12. THOMAS ALCOCK
11. MARGERY ALCOCK
9. Nathan Benham (b.10 Jul 1679;d.Jun 1757)
11. George Smith (b.Est 1620;m.1641;d.17 May 1662)
10. Mercy Smith (b.22 Feb 1645;d.Aft 1679)
11. Sarah Smith (b.1622;d.Aft 1668)
8. Hannah Benham (b.9 Jan 1723;d.Est 1795)
9. Mary Rudd (b.Est 1690)
6. Miles Cook (b.26 Apr 1788;m.1810;d.Abt 1875)
11. John Curtis (b.Abt 1615;d.Abt 1707)
10. Thomas Curtis (b.14 Jan 1648/1649;m.Abt 1674;d.Abt 1736)
11. Eliza Wells (b.Abt 1616;d.Abt 1682)
9. Thomas Curtis (b.Abt 1685;m.Abt 1714;d.Abt 1758)
14. Thomas Merriman (d.1599)
13. Gregory Merriman (b.Abt 1530;d.1595)
12. George Merriman (b.1559;d.1656)
14. William RINGE
13. Mary RING (b.Abt 1534)
11. Capt. Nathan or Nathaniel Merriman (b.Abt 1613;d.13 Feb 1693/1694)
10. Mary Merriman (b.12 Jul 1657;d.9 Jun 1674)
11. Joan Lines (b.Abt 1628;d.Abt 1670)
8. Thomas Curtis III (b.Abt 1729;m.Abt 1751;d.Abt 1776)
9. Mary Curtis (b.Est 1686)
7. Hannah Esther Curtis (b.22 Apr 1768;d.15 Sep 1832)
12. John Benham (b.Abt 1603;d.Abt 1661) ** Printed on Page 1 **
11. Joseph Benham (b.Est 1630;d.Abt 1703)
12. MARGERY ALCOCK ** Printed on Page 1 **
10. Joseph Benham (b.Abt 1659;m.17 Aug 1682;d.Abt 1702)
11. Winifred King (b.Est 1635)
9. Joseph Benham (b.Abt 1685;d.Abt 1754)
11. Capt. Nathan or N Merriman (b.Abt 1613;d.13 Feb 1693/1694) ** Printed on Page 1 **
10. Hannah Merriman (b.16 May 1651)
11. Joan Lines (b.Abt 1628;d.Abt 1670) ** Printed on Page 1 **
8. Esther Benham (b.Abt 1729/1730;d.Abt 1802)
9. Hope Cook (b.Abt 1686;d.Abt 1731)
5. Dewitt Clinton Cook (b.16 Aug 1813;m.Abt Sep 1839;d.8 Mar 1884)
11. William Coleman (b.Abt 1619;d.Abt 1680)
10. William Coleman (b.Abt 1650;d.Abt 1705)
9. John Coleman (b.Abt 1682;d.Abt 1733)
11. Moses Mapes
10. Mary Mapes (b.Abt 1662;d.Abt 1707)
11. Sarah Purrier
8. William Coleman (b.Est 1720)
7. Timothy Coleman (b.Abt 1752;m.11 Jan 1781;d.18 Aug 1831)
8. Mary Brown (b.Abt 1724)
6. Matilda Coleman (b.Est 1789;d.Abt 1830)
13. Jan Dewitt (b.9 Dec 1554)
12. Nicholas Claes Dewitt (b.31 Oct 1588;d.1622)
13. Taatje DeWitt
11. Tjerek Claese Dewitt (b.Abt 1620;m.24 Apr 1656;d.17 Feb 1700)
12. Taatje Van Leuven
10. Andries Dewitt (b.1 Jan 1657;m.Abt Mar 1682;d.22 Jul 1710)
13. Luykes Lveasen (b.1569)
12. Andries Luycaszen (b.1595;d.Jan 1680)
11. Barbara Andriessen (b.6 Jul 1630;d.6 Jul 1714)
12. Jannetje Sebyns
9. Egbert B. Dewitt (b.18 Mar 1699;m.4 Nov 1726)
11. Egbert Meydersen
10. Jannetje Egbertson (b.Bef 11 Jan 1664;d.23 Nov 1733)
11. Jaepsie (Jacoba) Jans
8. Jacob Rutsen Dewitt (b.13 Apr 1729;m.15 Apr 1756;d.8 Dec 1821)
11. William Nottingham (b.Abt 1640;d.1 Jun 1680)
10. William Nottingham (b.Abt 1670;m.22 Jun 1702;d.Abt 1731)
12. Francis Thomas Tye
11. Ann Tye (b.Abt 1640;d.Abt 1714)
12. Tellos Solomon
9. Mary (Maria) Nottingham (b.Est 19 May 1700;d.Abt 1774)
12. Rutger Jacobson Rutsen
11. Jacob Rutsen (b.Abt 1650;m.Abt 1675;d.Abt 1730)
12. Tryntje Jans Breestede
10. Margaret Bergen Rutsen (b.Abt 1680;d.Abt 1731)
13. Hans Nilsen Bergen (b.Abt 1582)
12. Hans Hansen Bergen (b.1610/1615;m.Abt 1639;d.30 May 1654)
13. Marta Jonasdotter (b.Abt 1580)
11. Maria (Marritje) Hansen Bergen (b.8 Oct 1651)
13. Joris Jansen Rapalje (b.Abt 1604;m.20 Jan 1624)
12. Sarah Jorise RAPALJE (b.9 Jun 1625;d.1685)
13. Catalyntje Jeronimus Trico (b.1605;d.1689)
7. Elizabeth Dewitt (b.Bef 10 Dec 1759;d.1838)
11. Nicholas DePuy (b.Abt 1630;d.Abt Jul 1691)
10. Moses Du Puis or DePuy (b.Abt 1657;m.Abt 1680;d.Abt 1754)
11. Catharina Reynards de Vaux (b.Abt 1632;d.Abt Jul 1705)
9. Moses (Dupuis) DePuy (b.27 Sep 1691;m.14 Feb 1716;d.Abt 1769)
12. Peter Wynkoop or Wyncoop (b.1616)
11. Cornelias Evertsz Wynkoop or Wyncoop (b.Abt 1627;d.Abt 1679)
12. Martie Wynkoop
10. Maria Wyncoop (b.Abt 1660;d.Bef 1724)
12. Jan Jansen Langendyck (b.Est 1600;m.Est 1630;d.1697)
11. Maria Jans Langedyck or Langendyck (b.Abt 1635;d.Abt 1679)
12. Geertie Jansen Wessels (b.1603;d.Aft 15 Oct 1668)
8. Janneke (Jane) DePuy (b.Abt 1735;d.18 Dec 1819)
12. Jochim Schomaker or Schoonmaker
11. Hendrick Jochemse Schoonmaker (b.Bef 29 Sep 1624;m.1653;d.Abt 1682)
10. Jochem Hendricks Schoonmaker (b.Abt 1655;m.28 Apr 1689;d.Abt 1730)
12. Jan Janson Breestede
11. Elyse Jan van Breestede (b.Abt 1623;d.1730)
12. Engeltje Janse
9. Margaret (Margrietje) Schoonmaker (b.15 Dec 1695;d.18 Dec 1819)
11. Frederick Hussey (d.Bef 1 Sep 1689)
10. Anna Hussey (b.Bef 27 Jun 1670;d.Abt 1752)
11. Margaret Bos (b.Abt 1647)
4. Dallas Dudley Cook (b.25 Dec 1844;m.30 Dec 1875;d.8 Sep 1917)
12. Mr. Burr (b.Est 1575)
11. Benjamin Burr (b.Est 1605;m.Est 1625;d.31 Mar 1681)
10. Samuel Burr (b.Est 1630;m.Est 1665;d.4 Mar 1698)
11. Anna <?> Burr (b.Est 1607;d.31 Aug 1683)
9. John Burr (b.Abt 1670;m.Est 1690)
11. John Bazey
10. Mary Bazey (b.Est 1630;d.Abt 1684)
8. Ebenezer Burr (b.9 Jul 1712;m.1742;d.12 Mar 1794)
9. Sarah Phelps (b.Est 1663;d.5 Feb 1762)
7. Aaron Burr (b.Abt 1750;m.17 Dec 1778;d.Abt 1821)
8. Reliance Burr (b.Abt 1719;d.4 Nov 1778)
6. Elisha Burr (b.Bef 11 Apr 1786;m.Est 1810;d.Abt 1870)
7. Martha Tobey (b.Abt 1751)
5. Celestia Cynthia Burr (b.17 Apr 1815;d.11 Oct 1896)
14. Richard Baldwin
13. Richard Baldwin (b.1540;d.18 Feb 1632)
14. Ellen APUKE
12. Richard Baldwin (b.3 Jun 1576;m.31 May 1598;d.16 May 1633)
13. Isabel CHASE (b.1545)
11. Joseph Baldwin (b.1609/1612;m.10 Nov 1636;d.2 Nov 1684)
13. Richard HARDING
12. Isabel HARDING (b.1582;d.Aft 1633)
10. Jonathan Baldwin (b.15 Feb 1649;m.2 Apr 1677;d.13 Dec 1739)
11. Hannah WHITLOCK
9. Daniel Baldwin (b.Abt 3 Mar 1688;d.Abt 1767)
10. Hannah Ward (b.Est 1650)
8. Jehiel Baldwin (b.21 Jun 1716;m.30 Nov 1743)
9. Patience Baldwin
7. David Baldwin (b.28 Mar 1753;m.Est 1775;d.Abt 1822)
8. Mary May (b.Est 1717;d.27 Sep 1748)
6. Cynthia Baldwin (b.Est 1790;d.Abt 1877)
7. Lois Churchill (b.Est 1755;d.Abt Aug 1837)
3. Dr. Arthur Mortimer Cook (b.22 Mar 1877;m.7 Aug 1898;d.5 Apr 1957)
9. Alexander Milliken (b.Est 1669)
8. Alexander Milliken Jr. (b.Abt 1720;d.Bef 7 Aug 1798)
7. William Milliken (b.2 Oct 1752;m.Abt 1777;d.Abt 1808)
6. (Edward?) Alexander Milliken (b.8 Sep 1778;m.28 Oct 1804;d.13 May 1854)
8. John Taggert
7. Esther Taggert (b.Abt 1753)
8. Barbary Nay
5. Mortimer Delville Milliken (b.11 May 1805;m.17 May 1836;d.5 Feb 1900)
19. John Bixby (b.Abt 1350)
18. Walter Bixby (b.Abt 1390;d.21 Nov 1459)
17. Nicholas Bixby (b.Abt 1415;d.Abt 1450)
18. Margery <?> Bixby
16. Thomas Bixby (b.1445;d.23 Jan 1508/1509)
15. John Bixby (b.Oct 1475)
16. Margaret <?> Bixby
14. Thomas Bixby (b.Abt 1500;m.28 Nov 1538)
13. Richard Bixby (b.29 May 1562;m.7 Jul 1589)
15. Thomas Munnings
14. Margaret Munnings (b.Abt 1520)
12. George Bixby (b.17 Dec 1594;m.16 Oct 1617;d.4 Apr 1627)
14. William Nunn
13. Isabel Nunn (b.Bef 25 Jan 1567/1568)
14. Joan ???
11. Joseph Bixby (b.28 Oct 1621;m.1647;d.Apr 1701)
13. Thomas Cole
12. ??? Cole
13. Mabel Wilchine
10. Joseph Bixby (b.Abt 1649;m.29 Mar 1682;d.5 Oct 1725)
12. Edward Riddlesdale
11. Sarah Riddlesdale or Hearde (b.16 Nov 1623;d.3 Jun 1703)
12. Mary Hearde?
9. Joseph Bixby (b.29 Mar 1683;m.4 Jan 1705)
12. Zaccheus Gould (b.Abt 1589;d.Abt 1668)
11. John Gould (b.10 Jun 1635;m.12 Oct 1660;d.26 Jan 1709)
12. Phebe Deacon? (d.20 Sep 1663)
10. Sarah Gould (b.Est 18 Dec 1654;d.4 Dec 1723)
12. John Baker
11. Sarah Baker (b.9 Mar 1641)
12. Elizabeth Baker
8. Joseph Bixby (b.10 Sep 1710;m.Abt 1732;d.Abt 1776)
10. Jos. Peabody
9. Lydia Peabody (b.Est 1684;d.9 Mar 1765)
10. Bethia Bridges
7. Rev. Nathan Bixby (b.14 Oct 1746;m.3 Oct 1771;d.15 Sep 1818)
9. Jonathan Rugg (b.Est 10 Feb 1681;m.11 Dec 1710;d.25 Dec 1753)
8. Mehitable Rugg (b.15 Sep 1711)
12. Francis Singletary (b.Abt 1565;d.Abt 1617)
11. Richard Singletary (b.Abt 1600;m.1637;d.25 Oct 1687)
12. Agnes Singletary (b.Abt 1563;d.Aft 1617)
10. Nathaniel Singletary (b.28 Oct 1644;m.22 Dec 1673;d.13 Aug 1689)
11. Susannah Cooke (b.Abt 1615;d.11 Apr 1682)
9. Hannah Singletary (b.23 May 1685)
16. Richard Belknap or Beltoft (b.Est 1460)
15. Laurence Belknap or Beltoft (b.Abt 1490;m.18 Feb 1519;d.2 Feb 1545)
16. Christian <?> Beltoft
14. Richard Belknap Beltoft (b.Abt 1520;d.Abt 1599)
15. Elizabeth <?> Belknap (b.Est 1500)
13. Bennet Beltoft or Belknap (b.Bef 1558;m.18 Feb 1519;d.Abt 1624)
14. Elizabeth <?> Beltoft (b.Abt 1520;d.Abt 1589)
12. Abraham Belknap (b.10 Mar 1589;m.28 Oct 1617;d.Abt Sep 1643)
15. John Adam (b.Abt 1510;d.Abt May 1578)
14. Heirom (Jerome) Adam (b.Abt 1535)
13. Grace Adam (b.Abt 1561;d.Abt 1630)
14. Elizabeth <?> Adam
11. Samuel Belknap (b.Abt 1628;m.Abt 1652;d.Abt 1701)
15. Thomas Stallion (b.Abt 1509;d.Abt Aug 1556)
14. Thomas Stallion Jr. (b.Abt 1541;m.1564;d.Abt 1590)
15. Elizabeth <?> Stallion (b.Abt 1520;d.Abt 1559)
13. Thomas Stallion III (b.21 Aug 1567;m.14 Apr 1592;d.18 Jun 1619)
14. Joan Delow (b.Abt 1545)
12. Mary Stallion (b.24 Dec 1595)
13. Mary Dalton (b.Abt 1573;d.14 Aug 1610)
10. Sarah Belknap (b.Abt 1655)
13. Robert Jones (b.Aft 1565)
12. Robert Jones Jr. (b.Abt 1596;m.30 Apr 1621;d.17 Nov 1691)
11. Sarah Jones (b.Abt 1630;d.18 Apr 1689)
12. Margaret Garnford (b.Est 1597;d.Abt 1630)
6. Julia Bixby (b.17 May 1782;d.7 Feb 1874)
15. Henry Twitchell (b.1460;m.1484)
14. George Twitchell (b.1485)
15. Mrs. Blackwell
13. George Twitchell (b.1510)
12. Richard Twitchell (b.6 Apr 1540;d.13 Jul 1627)
13. Mrs. George Twitchell (b.1518)
11. Benjamin Twitchell (b.1599;m.1 Sep 1652;d.1675/1676)
13. Robert Waller (b.1537)
12. Cicely Waller (b.1560;d.22 Jul 1627)
13. Ann Hampden (b.1537)
10. Joseph Twitchell (b.Abt 1655;m.Jul 1678;d.24 Oct 1710)
12. Edward Riggs (b.1590;d.5 Jan 1671)
11. Mary Riggs (b.1625;d.30 Oct 1694)
12. Elizabeth Wheeler (b.1595;d.2 Jul 1669)
9. Joseph Twitchell (b.3 Sep 1688;d.31 Jan 1728)
10. Lydia Johnson (b.1642;d.27 Apr 1725)
8. Capt. Joseph Twitchell (b.13 Feb 1718;m.28 Jun 1739;d.12 Mar 1792)
10. John Holbrook
9. Elizabeth Holbrook (b.22 Jul 1696)
10. Silence Wood (b.unknown)
7. Martha Twitchell (b.16 Dec 1747;d.14 Mar 1822)
12. Jonathan or Juthen Fairbanks (b.Abt 1590;m.1615;d.5 Dec 1668)
11. Capt. George Fairbanks (b.Est 1625;m.26 Sep 1646;d.10 Jan 1682/1683)
12. Grace Lee (d.28 Oct 1673)
10. Eleaser Fairbanks (b.8 Apr 1655)
12. Henry Adams (b.21 Jan 1583)
11. Mary Adams (b.26 Aug 1626;d.11 Aug 1711)
9. Capt. Eleasur Fairbanks (b.29 Dec 1690;d.Abt 19 Sep 1741)
8. Deborah Fairbanks (b.12 Nov 1719;d.12 Sep 1775)
10. Capt. Samuel Bullard.
9. Martha Bullard (b.Est 1691)
4. Mary Julia Milliken (b.17 Jul 1847;d.18 Feb 1929)
15. Sir Knight Thomas Forster (b.1500)
14. Thomas Forster (b.1526;d.1589)
16. Baron Ralph Ogle
15. Dorothy Ogle
13. Cuthbert Forster (b.1544;d.1589)
14. Feorina Frances Wharton
12. Thomas Foster (b.1570;d.1648)
13. Elizabeth Bradford
11. Reginald Foster (b.Abt 1595)
10. Abraham Foster (b.Abt 1622;m.Est 1655)
9. Abraham Foster (b.16 Oct 1659;m.15 Dec 1693;d.23 May 1741)
11. Caleb Burbank
10. Lydia Burbank (b.Est 1625)
11. Martha ??? Burbank
8. Abraham Foster (b.12 Jan 1696;m.Est 1716;d.23 Apr 1767)
10. Robert Robinson (b.Newbury, Mass.)
9. Mary Robinson (b.Est 1660)
7. Abraham Foster (b.4 May 1719;m.10 May 1744;d.27 Oct 1796)
8. Sarah Dunnell (b.Abt 1696;d.10 Apr 1732)
6. Abijah Foster (b.12 Sep 1762;m.16 Feb 1797;d.2 Apr 1822)
10. John Todd (b.Abt 1648;d.Abt 1689)
9. Samuel Todd (b.9 Jul 1670)
8. Abner Todd (b.12 Jul 1700;m.19 Feb 1723;d.21 Apr 1737)
10. Nathaniel Bradstreet
9. Priscilla Bradstreet
7. Priscilla Todd (b.16 Jan 1724)
8. Elizabeth Worcester (b.Est 1701)
5. Harriette Foster (b.12 Jun 1805;d.18 Jan 1872)
9. John Blake . (b.Est 1630;d.25 May 1700)
8. Robert Blake (b.1676;m.7 Jan 1702;d.4 Oct 1735)
7. Dr. Obidiah Blake (b.9 Jun 1719;m.27 Apr 1749;d.Abt 1810)
10. John Guild (b.Abt 1616;m.24 Jun 1645;d.4 Oct 1682)
9. John Guild (b.29 Nov 1649;m.22 Mar 1677;d.24 Jan 1724)
10. Elizabeth Crooke (b.Est 1620;d.31 Aug 1669)
8. Sarah Guild (b.3 Jun 1683;d.30 Jul 1757)
10. Anthony Fisher (b.Abt 1591;d.8 Oct 1683)
9. Sarah Fisher (b.Est 1650)
11. Thomas Faxon (b.Abt 1601;d.16 Oct 1694)
10. Joanna Faxon (b.Abt 1620)
6. Artemesia Blake (b.5 Dec 1765;d.8 Jan 1837)
7. Zipporah Harris (b.Est 1728;d.25 Feb 1785)
2. Stanleigh Gates Cook (b.22 Dec 1907;m.Abt Oct 1927;d.7 Jun 1977)
12. Thomas Gates
11. Stephen Gates (b.Abt 1603;m.5 May 1628;d.Abt Sep 1662)
10. Stephen Gates (b.Abt. 1640 ;m.Abt 1664;d.9 Jul 1707)
11. Ann Veare (b.Abt 1603;d.5 Feb 1682/1683)
9. Stephen Gates (b.17 Jul 1665;m.8 Nov 1686;d.4 Nov 1732)
11. George Woodward (m.7 Aug 1659)
10. Sarah Woodward (b.6 Feb 1642;d.Aft Sep 1707)
12. Thomas Hammond
11. Elizabeth Hammond
12. Elizabeth <?> Hammond
8. Stephen Gates (b.Est 1690;m.6 Nov 1713)
11. John Benjamin
10. Joseph Benjamin (m.10 Jun 1661;d.1704)
9. Jemima Benjamin (b.Abt 1667)
11. Thomas Lumbard
10. Jemima Lumbard
7. Nehemiah Gates (b.17 Mar 1722;m.14 Dec 1743;d.30 Aug 1790)
8. Hannah Woodward (b.estimated date of 1691)
6. Daniel Gates (b.27 Oct 1744/1745;m.9 Jul 1794;d.15 May 1832)
8. Nathaniel Baker (m.20 Aug 1722)
7. Elizabeth Baker (b.Oct 1727;d.14 Jun 1759)
8. Mary Longbottom
5. Cyrus Gates (b.12 Jul 1798;m.20 Jan 1820;d.5 Jul 1883)
7. Benjamin Ludden (b.Est 1720;m.20 Sep 1722)
6. Milcah <Ludden> Brown (b.17 Apr 1765;d.25 Jan 1846)
8. John Capen (b.16 Oct 1694;m.20 Sep 1722;d.Abt 1748)
7. Esther Capen (b.Est 1723)
10. Shadrach Thayer (b.Est 1640)
9. Ephraim Thayer (b.17 Nov 1669;m.7 Jan 1692;d.15 Jun 1757)
10. Deliverance Priest (b.Est 1640)
8. Ruth Thayer (b.1 Apr 1704)
13. William Bass
12. Humphry Bass (b.1564;m.1589;d.4 Jun 1616)
11. Deacon Samuel Bass (b.20 Aug 1598;d.30 Dec 1694)
13. DOMINICK BUSCHIER
12. MARY BUSCHIER (b.Abt. 1570 ;d.22 Jul 1616)
13. GENEVIEVE CLERKE
10. John Bass (b.18 Sep 1630;m.12 May 1657;d.12 Sep 1716)
11. Anne Bass
9. Sarah Bass (b.29 Mar 1672;d.19 Aug 1751)
11. John Alden (b.Abt 1598;m.12 May 1622;d.22 Sep 1687)
10. Ruth Alden (b.Est 1635;d.12 Oct 1674)
12. William Mullins (b.Est 1575;d.Abt 1621)
11. Priscilla Mullins (b.Abt 1602;d.Abt 1685)
12. Alice Atwood
4. Daniel N. Gates (b.15 Jan 1826;m.Est 1865)
6. William Wyckoff
5. Jane Wykoff (b.30 Oct 1799;d.27 Dec 1876)
6. Isabella Covenhoven
3. Esther Pamelia Gates (b.30 Jul 1877;d.11 Mar 1973)
6. Daniel Gates (b.27 Oct 1744/1745;m.9 Jul 1794;d.15 May 1832) ** Printed on Page 8 **
5. Joseph Brown Gates (b.28 Apr 1802;m.Abt 1829)
6. Milcah <Ludden> Brown (b.17 Apr 1765;d.25 Jan 1846) ** Printed on Page 8 **
4. Mary Milcah Gates (b.Est 1835)
6. Isaac Cook
5. Pamelia Bishop Cook (b.23 Jul 1802;d.3 May 1881)
1. Burr Cook (b.3 May 1934;m.29 Apr 1953)
6. Joshua Benson (b.5 Dec 1774;m.Est 1799;d.Abt 1826)
5. James Benson (b.19 Dec 1801;m.14 Apr 1822)
6. Elinor Thomas (b.11 Mar 1777)
4. Peter Orson Benson (b.12 Sep 1831;m.23 Mar 1856;d.Abt 1931)
12. Martin Petierse Schenck (b.7 Aug 1584)
11. Roelof Martense Schenck (b.20 Jun 1619/1620;d.1705)
10. Jan Roelfse Schenck (b.10 Feb 1669/1670;d.30 Jan 1753)
11. Grietje Hendrickson Van Ness (d.1686)
9. Black, Roelof Janse Schenck (b.21 Feb 1691/1692;m.26 Nov 1741;d.19 Jan 1766)
10. Sarah Willemse Van Couwenhoven
8. Jan Roelofse Schenck (b.22 Jan 1719/1720;m.3 Jul 1765;d.27 Jun 1749)
9. Geeyse Hendrickson
7. Cornelius Janse Schenck (b.19 Sep 1744;d.14 Jan 1790)
8. Jacominka Cornelise Van Couwenhoven (b.4 Oct 1717;d.10 Oct 1764)
6. John Or Jacob Schenck (b.7 Apr 1770;m.24 Feb 1791;d.8 Jan 1850)
7. Margaret Taylor (b.1742)
5. Catherine Schenck (b.10 Mar 1799)
6. Mary Or Polly Quackenbush (b.1772)
3. Roy Garfield Benson (b.2 Nov 1879;m.26 Nov 1901;d.Abt Sep 1954)
8. Edward Ainsworth (b.Abt 1652;m.11 Jan 1687;d.5 Mar 1740)
7. Nathan Ainsworth (b.20 Jul 1715;m.11 Oct 1750;d.24 Nov 1776)
10. Ralph Hemingway (b.Est 1614;m.5 Jul 1634)
9. Joshua Hemingway (b.Bef 9 Apr 1643;m.16 Jan 1667)
11. John Hewes (b.Est 1575;m.1602;d.Abt 1621)
10. Elizabeth Hewes (b.Est 1615;d.2 Feb 1686)
13. Robert Foote
12. Robert Foote
11. Mary Foote
13. John Brooke
12. Joan Brooke
13. Elizabeth <unkn> Brooke
8. Joanna Hemingway (b.21 Sep 1670;d.23 Dec 1748)
9. Johanna Evans (b.Est 1647;d.Abt 1675)
6. Amasa Ainsworth (b.1 May 1767;m.Abt 1800;d.20 Nov 1846)
8. John Child
7. Abigale Child (b.1 Jan 1729;d.6 Dec 1794)
8. Abigail Child
5. Francis Ainsworth (b.27 Apr 1806;m.Abt 1827;d.Abt 1846)
6. Mary Peas (b.Abt 1776;d.Abt 1815)
4. Emily M. Ainsworth (b.Abt 1837;d.Abt 1916)
5. Julia Larned (b.Est 1807;d.Abt 1844)
2. Adelaide Emily Benson (b.26 Jan 1908;d.2001)
12. Mr. Gulvin (b.Est 1600)
11. Thomas Gulvin (b.Abt 1630;m.28 Feb 1655;d.Abt 1690)
10. George Gulvin (b.23 Sep 1658;m.Abt 1682;d.Bef 18 Dec 1737)
11. Anne Lacket (b.Abt 1631;d.Bef 15 Feb 1686/1687)
9. Samuel Gulvin Sr. (b.1697;m.6 Jul 1725;d.Jun 1750)
10. Mary Gulvin (b.Est 1660;d.Bef 1770)
8. Henry Gulvin Sr. (b.1737;m.20 May 1761;d.Feb 1783)
9. Martha Stephens (b.Abt 1700;d.Jun 1759)
7. Thomas Gulvin (b.1765;m.18 Oct 1789;d.Feb 1846)
8. Ann Burren (b.1741;d.Dec 1770)
6. George Gulvin Sr. (b.Bef 14 Apr 1793;m.5 Nov 1817;d.Apr 1867)
7. Elizabeth Hook (b.1765;d.1819)
5. William Gulvin (b.1822;m.Dec 1840;d.8 Oct 1906)
6. Mary Ann Hayburn (b.1793;d.Mar 1837)
4. Reuben Gulvin (b.3 May 1847;m.9 Apr 1870;d.22 Jun 1900)
5. Elizabeth Sifleet (b.1823;d.26 Jul 1876)
3. Frances Lorraine Gulvin (b.1 Aug 1880;d.13 Oct 1938)
5. John Hart
4. Harriet Ann Hart (b.1 May 1854;d.7 Mar 1919)
5. Mary <???> Hart (d.9 Dec 1886)